Postterm Pregnancy: Incidence & Prevalence Worldwide & US

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
In summary, the Wikipedia article on postterm pregnancy states that the prevalence of postterm pregnancy worldwide is approximately 7%, which is also supported by other sources. However, in the US, postterm pregnancies only occur in 0.4% of pregnancies according to birth certificate data. This may be due to the common practice of induced labor in the US, with estimates ranging from 23% to 30% of all pregnancies. While this may explain some of the discrepancy, it does not fully account for the significant difference between the global and US prevalence rates.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
perhaps I am parsing Wikipedia's phrasing incorrectly; if not, is there really such a difference? (7% and 0.4%) I could not find the 0.4% figure elsewhere (and I do not have access to the article cited after the 0.4%), although I found the 7% figure elsewhere.
"In the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postterm_pregnancy#Epidemiology I read:
Prevalence of postterm pregnancy ... The incidence is approximately 7%. Postterm pregnancy occurs in 0.4% of pregnancies approximately in the United States according to birth certificate data."
This seems to say that postterm preganancies are 7% of pregnancies worldwide (a figure I also found in https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3991404/), and then that it is 0.4% in the US (although the link just mentioned gives higher figures). Is this what it is saying and if so, is it correct, and if so, why the discrepancy?

Biology news on Phys.org
How common is induced birth in the US? In some countries it is quite common to schedule induced births within 2 weeks of being overdue. In those countries you’d expect the percentage of post term births to be much lower than the global average.

Ryan_m_b said:
How common is induced birth in the US? In some countries it is quite common to schedule induced births within 2 weeks of being overdue.

That is probably the key point. From my limited experience, it is pretty common. From the wikipedia article that was posted in the OP:
Wikipedia said:
Postterm pregnancy
Other namesPost-term, postmaturity, prolonged pregnancy, post-dates pregnancy, postmature birth
SpecialtyObstetrics
Postterm pregnancy is the condition of a woman who has not yet delivered her baby after 42 weeks of gestation, two weeks beyond the median duration of a human pregnancy of about 40 weeks (mean duration of pregnancy varies by parity).[1] Post-mature births can carry risks for both the mother and the infant, including fetal malnutrition. After the 42nd week of gestation, the placenta, which supplies the baby with nutrients and oxygen from the mother, starts aging and will eventually fail.

Last edited:
Ryan_m_b, that is a good point. It appears that the statistics for induced labor in the US are a bit fuzzy: in http://www.nationalpartnership.org/...ternity/quick-facts-about-labor-induction.pdf the estimates go from 23% to 30% of all pregnancies in the US.
berkeman: so, yes, induced labor in the US is quite common, especially for postterm pregnancy due to the dangers you listed.
However, whereas this could account for some discrepancy, I am not sure that this could account for the discrepancy between the figures of 7% or 4% down to 0.4%.

1. What is considered a postterm pregnancy?

A postterm pregnancy is defined as a pregnancy that lasts beyond 42 weeks of gestation. This is also known as a prolonged or overdue pregnancy.

2. What is the incidence of postterm pregnancy worldwide?

The incidence of postterm pregnancy varies globally, with rates ranging from 2-10% of all pregnancies. However, in developed countries, the incidence is typically lower due to better access to healthcare and induction of labor when necessary.

3. What are the potential risks associated with postterm pregnancy?

Postterm pregnancy is associated with several risks for both the mother and the baby. These include an increased risk of stillbirth, meconium aspiration syndrome, and macrosomia (large birth weight). The mother may also be at risk for complications such as labor dystocia and postpartum hemorrhage.

4. What factors contribute to the prevalence of postterm pregnancy in the US?

The prevalence of postterm pregnancy in the US is influenced by several factors, including maternal age (women over 35 are at higher risk), obesity, and a history of previous postterm pregnancies. Additionally, cultural and societal beliefs about the natural length of pregnancy may also play a role in the prevalence of postterm pregnancies.

5. How is postterm pregnancy managed?

The management of postterm pregnancy may involve monitoring the baby's well-being through non-stress tests and ultrasound exams. If necessary, labor may be induced to prevent potential risks. In some cases, a cesarean delivery may be recommended. It is important for women with postterm pregnancies to discuss their options with their healthcare provider and make an informed decision based on their individual circumstances.