Potential difference between two points problem

In summary: You are right, I should have been using Ke = 3.0x10^-10. My bad!In summary, the homework statement said that a point charge of 500pC at the origin has a potential difference of 2.91x10^-10 between points a and b at distances 5m and 15m respectively.
wheybags

Homework Statement

Given a point charge of 500pC at the origin, find the potential difference between points a and b at distances 5m and 15m respectively along the x-axis.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law, I think?

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I thought coulombs law was relevant was because it was mentioned in the first part of the equation. I tried to apply Coulomb's law, but got nowhere, as I don't have a charge for a and b, and also, I think that would ignore the charge at the origin, so it was probably the wrong way to go about it. To be honest, it just doesn't seem to me like there is enough information given to do anything with it, really.
All help gratefully received.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned anything called as electrostatic potential??
If not, read some book and grab an idea of it. It will help you to understand the problem!

Yes, please do look in your physics textbook, in the section or chapter on electric potential.

You are looking for the potential (or voltage) of a point charge -- there should be a formula for this.

I looked, but couldn't find anything really. Wouldn't I need to know the charge at a and b to do anything?

wheybags said:
I looked, but couldn't find anything really. Wouldn't I need to know the charge at a and b to do anything?

It's a point charge, so no.

Change in electric potential is defined as [tex][V(\mathbf{r_2})-V(\mathbf{r_1})] = -\int_{\mathbf{r_1}}^{\mathbf{r_2}} \!\!\! \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex]

What is the electric field for a point charge?

r1 and r2 are distances from the origin, right? But what is V? also, is E the electric field, which is F/q? If so, I would need q, the charge at each point, wouldn't I? but you said I didn't.

I think I worked this out, would appreciate if someone could confirm my answer.

500pC = 500x10^-12 C
Potential at a point = Kₑ (q/r)
applied these and got:
Va = 9x10^-12
Vb = 3x10^-10
Potential difference between a and b = |Va - Vb|
=> 2.91x10^-10

You're formula and procedure are correct, but your calculations of Va and Vb are wrong. Are you using Ke = 9.0x10^9?

Oh god, I'm an idiot. I was using Ke = 9...

What is potential difference between two points problem?

Potential difference between two points problem is a physics concept that describes the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage difference or voltage drop.

How is potential difference between two points calculated?

Potential difference between two points is calculated by subtracting the electric potential at one point from the electric potential at the other point. The unit for potential difference is volts (V).

What factors affect potential difference between two points?

The main factors that affect potential difference between two points are the distance between the points, the magnitude and direction of the electric field, and the presence of any charges or conductors in the electric field.

What is the significance of potential difference between two points?

Potential difference between two points is significant because it is what causes electric charges to move through a circuit, creating an electric current. It is also important for understanding the behavior of electric fields and the flow of electricity.

How is potential difference between two points related to electric potential energy?

Potential difference between two points is directly related to electric potential energy. The greater the potential difference, the greater the change in electric potential energy between those two points. This means that a higher potential difference can produce more work or power in an electric circuit.