Potential difference on complex circuits

In summary, the voltmeter reads 0.5 V on the left line and 0.5 V on the right line when the 40 V battery is connected in parallel.
Cetullah
****WARNING-THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK-WARNING****

Hello dear Physics Forums users,

I have no idea about how to find the potential difference between two points in a complex circuit. I m not even sure if I really know how to find it in a basic circuit. Please help me and enlighten me with your wisdom and experience. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We need some diagnostic tests. Try the ones on the attached thumb-nail. Work out what the voltmeter reads in each case. Give us your answers, or tell us where – if anywhere – you get stuck.

Attachments

• PFvoltage.jpg
    PFvoltage.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 752
Thanks for spending time on that. I think I have solved them, here are my steps:

a)Req=18+6=24

12/24=0.5 A

0.5*6=3 V

b) 0.3=12/(6+R)

R=34

34*0.3=10.2

c)2-0.5=1.5 A

1.5*5=7.5 V, which is equal the one on the parallel line.

d) Well eh, with some doubt:

1/(18+6)+1/(3+9)=1/Req

Req=8

12/8=1.5 A

1.5/3=0.5

Current on left line=0.5*2

Current on right line= 0.5*1

The voltage difference= 18*0.5-3*1=6

Well, you've certainly got the basic ideas! Here are some comments/alternative methods...

(b) Alternatively, p.d. across 6Ω = 6 x 0.3 = 1.8 V,
So pd across lower resistor = 12 - 1.8 = 10.2 V.

(c) And top voltmeter reads 12 - 7.5 = 4.5 V

(d) No need to evaluate resistors in parallel.
Left and right branches each have 12 V across them
So pd across 3Ω = [itex]\frac{3}{12}\times12[/itex] = 3 V,
And p.d. across 18Ω =[itex]\frac{18}{24}\times12[/itex] = 9 V,
So lhs of voltmeter is 3 V downhill from the top, and rhs of voltmeter is 9 V downhill from the top, so rhs of voltmeter is 6 V downhill from lhs of voltmeter.

Can you now supply a problem of the sort which gives you trouble?

Cetullah - Perhaps worth a look at this trick you can use to avoid a two stage approach..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

Allows you to work out voltages without first explicitly calculating the current.

Yes indeed.
This is one of the tricks I used in (d) above.

That is one of the kind of problems I get stuck with, in the attachment. :/

Sorry for the super paint skills by the way :D

Attachments

• va-vb.png
    va-vb.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 610
Hope you're familiar with Kirchhoff's laws...

See thumb-nail.

Get back if you're not happy.

Attachments

• PFKirchhoff.jpg
    PFKirchhoff.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 603
Thank you for the effort Philip. I m familiar with the Kirchhoff's laws, however the part that I ve been requesting aid for was the "simple" Step 7 :3 Can you explain a little bit, about how did you find the voltage difference, please?

The 40 V battery has no internal resistance, so the p.d. across its terminals (i.e. between A and B) is equal to its emf: 40 V.

Oh, now things started to settle :) So, first we find which path every current follows, then if there are any resistances along the path, we just find the potential spent on resistance, then substract it from the positive potentials. I m not sure if I have managed to tell the thing in my mind, but correct me if I m wrong. :)

Yes, though I'm not sure we do "find the path every current follows".

Good luck!

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force behind the flow of electric current.

How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done (in joules) in moving a unit of charge (in coulombs) from one point to another. This can be represented by the equation V = W/Q, where V is potential difference, W is work done, and Q is charge.

What is a complex circuit?

A complex circuit is a circuit that contains multiple components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected together in various ways. These circuits can be more difficult to analyze compared to simple circuits with only a few components.

How does potential difference behave in a complex circuit?

In a complex circuit, potential difference can vary depending on the specific path that the current takes. It can also change as it passes through different components, such as resistors, which can affect the overall potential difference in the circuit.

What factors can affect potential difference in a complex circuit?

Potential difference in a complex circuit can be affected by the type and arrangement of components, as well as the voltage of the power source. The resistance and capacitance of the components can also play a role in determining the potential difference in the circuit.