Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential due to a line charge

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    Suppose you have a line charge Q along the x axis from +a to -a. Simple integration should give the potential at any point x as:

phi(x) = 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((x+a)/(x-a))

= 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((x+xdx)/(x-xdx))

= 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((1+dx)/(1-dx))

So there's no longer any x dependance??????

I now doubt that the expression is right, even though it seems to be a standard result. Perhaps I've missed out the integration constant

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand what you are doing here, what happened to a and why do you have dx?

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    a = x dx. I could rewrite it as a = x b if it makes things clearer. After thinking about it further, the problem is that the charge density is now rho = Q/2a = Q/xdx and so I can no longer take it outside of the integral as a constant.

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    If rho is Q/2a then this means the charge density is constant. You need to integrate dq/r where r is the distance from x to the infinitesimal charge dq. dq = (Q/2a)dx' and r = x-x' so your variable of integration is x' not x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook