1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential due to a line charge

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    Suppose you have a line charge Q along the x axis from +a to -a. Simple integration should give the potential at any point x as:

phi(x) = 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((x+a)/(x-a))

= 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((x+xdx)/(x-xdx))

= 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((1+dx)/(1-dx))

So there's no longer any x dependance??????

I now doubt that the expression is right, even though it seems to be a standard result. Perhaps I've missed out the integration constant

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand what you are doing here, what happened to a and why do you have dx?

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    a = x dx. I could rewrite it as a = x b if it makes things clearer. After thinking about it further, the problem is that the charge density is now rho = Q/2a = Q/xdx and so I can no longer take it outside of the integral as a constant.

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    If rho is Q/2a then this means the charge density is constant. You need to integrate dq/r where r is the distance from x to the infinitesimal charge dq. dq = (Q/2a)dx' and r = x-x' so your variable of integration is x' not x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook