Potential due to a line charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential at any point x due to a line charge Q along the x-axis. The formula for the potential is given and there are questions about its validity and the use of variables. It is clarified that the charge density is no longer constant and the variable of integration should be x' instead of x.
jason12345
Suppose you have a line charge Q along the x-axis from +a to -a. Simple integration should give the potential at any point x as:

phi(x) = 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((x+a)/(x-a))

= 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((x+xdx)/(x-xdx))

= 1/(4pi epsilon) Q/L loge((1+dx)/(1-dx))

So there's no longer any x dependance?

I now doubt that the expression is right, even though it seems to be a standard result. Perhaps I've missed out the integration constant

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are doing here, what happened to a and why do you have dx?

Born2bwire said:
I don't understand what you are doing here, what happened to a and why do you have dx?

a = x dx. I could rewrite it as a = x b if it makes things clearer. After thinking about it further, the problem is that the charge density is now rho = Q/2a = Q/xdx and so I can no longer take it outside of the integral as a constant.

If rho is Q/2a then this means the charge density is constant. You need to integrate dq/r where r is the distance from x to the infinitesimal charge dq. dq = (Q/2a)dx' and r = x-x' so your variable of integration is x' not x.

1. What is a line charge?

A line charge is an infinitely long, thin wire with a uniform distribution of electric charge along its length. It is a simplified model used in electrostatics to describe the behavior of electric fields and potential near a charged wire or rod.

2. How is the potential due to a line charge calculated?

The potential at a point in space due to a line charge can be calculated using the formula V = kλ/ρ, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the linear charge density (charge per unit length) of the line charge, and ρ is the distance from the point to the line charge.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that the direction of the electric field is in the direction of decreasing potential. In other words, the electric field points towards lower potential and away from higher potential.

4. How does the potential due to a line charge change with distance?

The potential due to a line charge decreases with distance from the line charge. This decrease follows an inverse relationship, meaning that as the distance from the line charge increases, the potential decreases at a faster rate.

5. Can a line charge have a negative potential?

Yes, a line charge can have a negative potential. This occurs when the line charge has a negative charge density, meaning that the charge is distributed in a direction opposite to the normal direction of the line charge. In this case, the potential will be negative in the direction towards the line charge and positive in the direction away from the line charge.