1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy and magnetic torque

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    i'm having a hard time understanding why potential energy is 0 when u(mu) is perpendicular to B(mag field). Isn't the torque at max when the angle between u and B is 90? and there for has potential to do work all the way until the angle is 0. The way my mind sees it is, since there is a torque on the loop, it will move. Since it wants to move it should therefore have potential energy, just like if a box is up in the air and wants to fall. I just don't understand how potential energy goes from 0 to negative. It doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is arbitrary to what position you assign the zero of potential energy. Only the change counts. The change from zero to some -U value is the same as from U to zero.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook