Potential Energy of atoms and molecules

In summary, a Br2 molecule has more potential energy than two separate bromine atoms because the molecule is both attracted and repelled by the charges, increasing its potential energy. This is due to the fact that the bond length between the two atoms is at a lower potential energy compared to if the atoms were closer together or farther apart. Bromine naturally forms a covalent bond with itself to form Br2 because it results in a decrease in free energy, making the molecule more stable than two separate Br atoms. This is because atoms are always looking to reduce their energy levels and achieve their most stable state.
Fusilli_Jerry89
which has more potential energy, a Br2 molecule or two separate bromine atoms? I put the molecule because the fact that it is both attracted and repelled by the charges increases its potential energy. I just want to confirm if I'm right.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
which has more potential energy, a Br2 molecule or two separate bromine atoms? I put the molecule because the fact that it is both attracted and repelled by the charges increases its potential energy. I just want to confirm if I'm right.
The two Br atoms are most stable when they are a certain distance from each other, where electron-electron and proton-proton repulsions are best matched by electron-proton attractions. This distance, known as the bond length, has a lower potential energy than if the atoms were closer together or farther apart.

Consider the following image, obtained from Chemicool.com (used for educational purposes only).

potential-curve.gif

Last edited:
Bromine is a diatomic element.
In its elemental state, Bromine will naturally form a covalent bond with itself to form Br2 as opposed to two Br atoms.
Why does it do this? The simple answer (which can apply to a wide range of physical phenomenon) is that there is a decrease in the free energy when this occurs...Br2 is more stable than 2Br.
Energy is given off when bonds are formed and atoms are always looking for ways to reduce their energy level in order to achieve their most stable states.

1. What is potential energy of atoms and molecules?

Potential energy of atoms and molecules is the energy that is stored within the chemical bonds of a substance. It is the result of the attractive and repulsive forces between atoms and molecules, and it is a form of energy that can be released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

2. How is potential energy of atoms and molecules calculated?

The potential energy of atoms and molecules is calculated using the formula U = kQ1Q2/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the atoms or molecules, and r is the distance between them. This formula takes into account the electrostatic forces between particles.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and the distance between atoms and molecules?

The potential energy of atoms and molecules is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between particles decreases, the potential energy increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

4. Can potential energy of atoms and molecules be changed?

Yes, potential energy of atoms and molecules can be changed. It can be increased by adding energy through processes such as heating or chemical reactions. It can also be decreased by removing energy, such as in exothermic reactions where energy is released.

5. How does potential energy of atoms and molecules relate to the stability of a substance?

The potential energy of atoms and molecules is directly related to the stability of a substance. A substance with low potential energy is more stable because it has a lower energy state and is less likely to undergo a chemical reaction. On the other hand, a substance with high potential energy is less stable and more likely to react in order to reach a lower energy state.