Potential energy of quarks

In summary, the ratio of the gravitational potential energy to the Coulomb potential energy between a t quark and an anti-t quark, with charges of +/- \frac{2}{3} e and a mass of 174 GeV/c^2, is given by the equation: ratio=\frac{G (174 GeV/c^2)^2}{k(\frac{2}{3} e)^2}
UrbanXrisis
I am to find the ratio of the gravitational PE to the Coulomb PE between a [tex]t[/tex] and a [tex]\bar{t}[/tex] quark

I don't know what a [tex]\bar{t}[/tex] quark is, but I am guessing that it is a quark that has a charge opposite of that of the [tex]t[/tex] quark?

I am given that the charges are [tex]+/- \frac{2}{3} e[/tex] and that the mass is 174 GeV/c^2.

I think this is how I should set this question up:

[tex]ratio=-\frac{GMm}{kQq}[/tex]

[tex]ratio=-\frac{2G (174 GeV/c^2)}{k(\frac{2}{3} e) (-\frac{2}{3} e)}[/tex]

is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio should not be negative. The rest of the solution, I think that you're right.

Last edited:
why should the ratio not be negative? and what is a [tex]\bar{t}[/tex] quark?

Usually the bar means its the antiparticle. In this case you have the top quark [tex] t [/tex] and the anti-top quark [tex] \bar{t} [/tex]. The ratio of the two energies should be positive because both energies are negative.

Also, the gravitational potential energy is proportional to the product of the masses so you should have the mass squared rather than multiplied by two.

Last edited:
oh right, so something like..

[tex]ratio=\frac{G (174 GeV/c^2)^2}{k(\frac{2}{3} e)^2}[/tex]

1. What is potential energy of quarks?

The potential energy of quarks refers to the energy that is stored within the strong nuclear force that binds quarks together to form protons and neutrons, which are the building blocks of atomic nuclei.

2. How is potential energy of quarks calculated?

The potential energy of quarks is calculated using the equation E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation is derived from Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains the relationship between energy and mass.

3. What is the significance of potential energy of quarks?

The potential energy of quarks is significant because it plays a crucial role in determining the stability and structure of atoms. Without this potential energy, quarks would not be able to bind together to form the fundamental particles that make up matter.

4. Can potential energy of quarks be measured?

While potential energy itself cannot be directly measured, the effects of potential energy can be observed and measured through experiments, such as particle accelerators. Scientists can also make predictions and calculations about potential energy based on theoretical models and equations.

5. How does potential energy of quarks relate to other forms of energy?

Potential energy of quarks is a type of potential energy, which is a form of energy that is stored within a system and has the potential to do work. Other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy and thermal energy, can also be derived from potential energy and can be converted into each other. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy.