Potential Energy -- What are the different ways it can be stored?

In summary, potential energy is energy that can be stored in different ways and can be converted to kinetic energy.
neomahakala108
Gold Member
Potential energy is energy contained in certain system, for example in physical body mass in gravitational field of Earth.

Potential energy at initial position has value equal to work necessary to move mass from initial position to new position.

But also, i read that potential energy can also be stored in other ways.

It'd be nice if someone elaborated examples, especially interrested in Quantum Physics & Electronics examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
neomahakala108 said:
Potential energy is energy contained in certain system, for example in physical body mass in gravitational field of Earth.

Potential energy at initial position has value equal to work necessary to move mass from initial position to new position.

But also, i read that potential energy can also be stored in other ways.

It'd be nice if someone elaborated examples, especially interrested in Quantum Physics & Electronics examples.

Well, there's electrostatic potential energy, and elastic potential energy. You can assign a potential energy function to any conservative force field as far as I know.

Likes neomahakala108
Are you looking for a simple list? Why don't you start by listing what you can think of?

Likes neomahakala108
Khashishi said:
Are you looking for a simple list? Why don't you start by listing what you can think of?

i know too little of physics & related english words to speak about this properly.

but i'll list examples:

- mass at height,
- tense spring (not sure if i translated this well),
- chemical energy (not sure if it's correct),
- solar energy (not sure if it's correct).

Solar energy isn't a good example. Solar energy comes from nuclear fusion reactions of hydrogen and heavier elements. But there are nuclear reactions happening outside the sun, also. So it is better to put nuclear energy in the list rather than solar energy. Any nuclear or chemical reaction that gives off energy converts a small amount of mass into energy, so you could consider all mass to be a form of potential energy, depending on context. Any mass at rest can in principle be completely converted to kinetic energy (including photons) by annihilating it with an equal supply of antimatter.

It might be useful to consider how potential energy is stored at a more fundamental level. Springs and other elastic objects store energy in the electric field, since it is the displacement of the chemical bonds which is responsible for the elasticity. Levitating a mass stores energy in the gravitational field. Nuclear fuel stores energy in the strong nuclear bonds.

I've given a very physical picture of potential energy, but you can also think of potential energy as a mathematical construct--a bookkeeping engine. I prefer to think of potential energy in terms of real measurable things.

Likes neomahakala108

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object possesses because of its position in a force field or because of its condition relative to other objects.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy.

How is potential energy stored in an object?

Potential energy is stored in an object when work is done to move the object against a force, or when an object is placed in a position where it has the potential to do work later on.

Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. When an object falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed.

How can potential energy be increased or decreased?

Potential energy can be increased or decreased by changing an object's position or configuration. For example, lifting an object higher off the ground increases its gravitational potential energy, while compressing a spring increases its elastic potential energy.