Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Fourier Analysis Metrics?

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    So, my friend looked at this post and told me it's beyond confusing. So let me clarify.

Suppose I have a neural network connected to various sensors. How best would I process the input data from the sensor such that a neural network could learn from it best. I'm assuming my network has many, many inputs, so perhaps I could input all types of processed input from my sensors. Forget about processing power limitations for now. I'm simply asking, what types of frequency input would be useful for a neural network to learn from?

I thought of one metric. I was considering weighting recent inputs higher in a fourier integral as below.

Continuous:

[itex] {\bf{F}}_c(j\omega,\alpha,t) = \int^t_{t_0} f(\tau)e^{(\tau -t)\alpha}e^{-j\omega\tau}d\tau, \; \alpha >0 [/itex]

and Discrete (which I would use on a comp):

[itex] {\bf{F}}_d(j\omega,\alpha,n) = T\sum^n_{k=k_0} f_ke^{[k-n]\alpha T}e^{-j\omega Tk}, \; \alpha >0 [/itex]

The idea is that they are weighted Fourier Transforms such that the exponential terms in the integrand and summand are such that since [itex] \tau -t \leq 0, k-n \leq 0 [/itex] ,then [itex] e^{(\tau -t)\alpha} \leq 1, e^{(k -n)T\alpha} \leq 1 [/itex] so that most recent terms are weighted exponentially more.

Then, on the network inputs, I could input values of my weighted fourier transforms from several values of time and several frequency values, so perhaps a whole matrix of inputs from this frequency metric.

I could even do the same thing for the continuous time inputs

Continous:
    [itex] {\bf{f}}_c(\alpha,t) = f(t)e^{(\tau -t)\alpha} [/itex]

Discrete:
    [itex] {\bf{f}}_d(\alpha,n) = f_ne^{[k-n]\alpha T}[/itex]

and then, I can get a vector of inputs if I input the last so many sample values from this metric

Would this be a good "feature selection"?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted