1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential function of a gradient field.

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the vector field = -yi + xj, find the line integral along the curve C from the origin along the x-axis to the point (6, 0) and then counterclockwise around the circumference of the circle x2 + y2 = 36 to the point (6/sqrt(2), 6/sqrt(2)) . Give an exact answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got a potential function f = xy. I tried to consider it as a path independent potential function, and plugged in F(6/sqrt(2), 6/sqrt(2))-F(0,0). The answer I got was 18. Which webassign calls wrong. Then again, webassign incorrect on about 20% of the problems, which makes learning math very frustrating.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

grad(f) is yi+xj. That's not what you want. The vector field doesn't have a gradient function, it has nonzero curl. You really have to do the path integral.
  4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks. I just read a few chapters ahead into the curl stuff.
  5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    sorry to bring this up again but I got the same question with the OP and I am just confused what the real answer should be if the vector field doesn't have a grad function
  6. Apr 8, 2009 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Normally one does path integrals before "potential functions" so this is a peculiar question.

Do it as two separate integrals. On the x-axis use x= t, y= 0. On the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 36[/itex] use x= [itex]6cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= 6 sin(\theta)[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?