1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of parallel infinite charged wires

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    1. Two infinitely long wires running parallel to the x-axis carry uniform charge densities [tex] +\lambda [/tex] and [tex] -\lambda [/tex]. Find the potential at any point. Show that the equipotential surfaces are circular cylinders, and locate the axis and radius of the cylinder corresponding to a given potential [tex] V_0 [/tex]

2. Relevant equations.

Potential of one wire charge density [tex] \lambda [/tex] I calculated to be :

[tex] V_a(b) = \frac{-\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0} \ln (b/a) [/tex] where a,b are shortest distances to the wire, and distance a is the reference.

I let the wires be equidistant from the x-axis, denoting the distance d. I put the [tex] -\lambda [/tex] wire at (-d,0) and the [tex] +\lambda [/tex] at (d,0).

3. The attempt at a solution

Setting the reference at the origin, the reference distance for both wires is [tex] a = d [/tex]. Letting [tex] r_+, r_- [/tex] be the distance from a point (x,y) to the positive and negative wires, respectively, the potential at (x,y) is then

[tex] V(x,y) = \frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}( -\ln(r_+/d) + ln(r_-/d) ) [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\ln(\frac{r_-}{r_+}) [/tex].

The distances are

[tex] r_+ = \sqrt{(x-d)^2 + y^2} [/tex]
    [tex] r_- = \sqrt{(x+d)^2 + y^2} [/tex].

So the potential can be written

[tex] V(x,y) = \frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\ln(\frac{(x+d)^2 + y^2}{(x-d)^2 + y^2}) [/tex].

If so, then the eqn. of a [tex] V_0 [/tex] equipotential surface is

[tex] k = \frac{(x+d)^2 + y^2}{(x-d)^2 + y^2}) [/tex] where [tex] k = \exp( \frac{4\pi\epsilon_0 V_0}{\lambda} ) [/tex].

This simplifies to

[tex] x^2 + y^2 + d^2 - 2xd\frac{k+1}{k-1} = 0 [/tex].

and I don't see how this eqn. could define a cylinder, and moreover, on intuitive grounds, I don't see how a cylinder could possibly be the geometry of the equipotential surfaces. By symmetry, an equipotential cylinder would have to be centered at the origin -- right? -- but that would means that the potential at [tex] (d + \varepsilon, 0 ) [/tex] a bit to the right of the positive wire would be the same as the potential at [tex] (-d - \varepsilon, 0 ) [/tex] a bit to the left of the negative wire!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Strictly speaking, [tex]x^2 + y^2 + d^2 - 2xd\frac{k+1}{k-1} = 0 [/tex] defines a circle, not a cylinder. However, the potential is independent of z, so these circles are the same for a given [itex]V_0[/itex] all the way along the z-axis, and together this infinite collection of circles (of the same radius and center) define a cylindrical surface.

To see that your equation represents a circle, just "complete the square" in 'x', an you can rewrite your equation into the form [tex](x-a)^2+y^2=R^2[/tex] which of course, represents a circle centered at [itex](a,0)[/itex] with radius [itex]R[/itex]... What do you get for your [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex] values?....Clearly, your cylinder is not centered at the origin, but rather runs parallel to the z-axis and is centered at [itex](a,0)[/itex].
  4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    Now that you mention it, that was the plain-as-day thing to do. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?