1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and Exponential Equations

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm writing a lab report and I'm having trouble understanding how to set up these experimental equations.

I understand Linear (y=mx+b) but my professor wants us to use separate equations to illustrate power and exponential forms.
    Power : y=bx^m
    Exponential: y=be^(mx)

On the first lab report for the power relationship I had:
    Slope of linearization equation (trendline) = 4
    Y intercept of linearization equation = .9031
    I set up my equation as y=.9031x^4

For the exponential relationship I had:
    Slope of linearization equation (trendling) = 1.3029
    Y intercept of linearization equation (trendline) = .699
    I set up my equation as y=.699e^(1.3029x)

Does anyone know how to use these equations?

2. Relevant equations

Power : y=bx^m
    Exponential: y=be^(mx)

3. The attempt at a solution

y=.9031x^4
    y=.699e^(1.3029x)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

ojs

Hmm, I am sorry, I don't understand your work here.

Are you using data sets that show linear relationship, making a linear fit to them and using the parameters from that fit to put into a power and exponential equation? That won't work at all.

If you have data sets that show either power or exponential relations then you either use a program to fit that data to the given equation or take the n-th root or logarithm of the y-data and then use linear fitting.

And what do you mean by "how to use these equations"?

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The claim in your first lab report looks wrong. If you say "slope of trendline = 4" (after your word "linearization") you are claiming an equation of the form y = a + 4*x---that is what we mean when we say a linear function with trendline having slope 4. However, if you were looking at *log(y)* vs. *log(x)* and getting a linear form with trendline = 4 (that is, log(y) = c + 4*log(x)), _then_ you would, indeed, have y = a*x^4.

RGV

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4
    Thanks I think I got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook