1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power as a car going uphill

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mass of a car is 1500 kg. The shape of the body is such that its aerodynamic drag coefficient is D = 0.380 and frontal area is 2.50 m2. Assuming that the drag force is proportional to v^2 and ignoring other sources of friction, calculate the power required to maintain a speed of 100 km/h as the car climbs a long hill sloping at 3.50° the answer is in horsepower

2. Relevant equations
    R = .5DpAv^2
    P = Fv
    1hp = 746W

3. The attempt at a solution
    Total force the engine needs to overcome is the gravitational force at an angle and air resistance.
    To find force, F = mgsin(theta) + .5 DpAv^2. Plugs everything in, F = (1500)(9.8)sin(3.5) + .5(.38)(1.29)(2.5)(27.78^2) = 1370.3N
    To find power, P = 1370.3(27.78) = 38067W, 38067W = 51 hp.

I don't think my answer is correct. Can anyone offer any insight as to why? Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks correct to me. You probably were expecting a bit more horse required?

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    I entered my answer into the online homework thing and it told me I was 10% within the correct answer. I just can't figure out what's wrong with what I did. Man...

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you copy down the correct information given in the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?