Calculate Power Consumption of 60 W Lightbulb | Resistance and Voltage Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the power consumption of a 60 W, 115 V lightbulb with a resistance of 10.9 Ω when cold and 132 Ω when hot. The equation P=V^2/R is used to find the power dissipated in the resistor. The power consumption is to be calculated at the instant the lightbulb is turned on and after a few moments when it is hot. The units for resistance and voltage are important to get right, and it is recommended to use Vrms for AC current. The lightbulb is considered "cold" at the instant it is turned on and "hot" after being on for a few moments.
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

(a)A 60 W, 115 V lightbulb has a resistance of 10.9 W when cold (20.0°C) and 132 W when on (hot). Calculate its power consumption at the instant it is turned on.

(b)Calculate its power consumption after a few moments when it is hot

Homework Equations

P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding and subtracting the resistances then dividing the voltage squared by either values but that is incorrect. I don't know how to determine how much power is used when the switch is turned on. Since I don't know the first answer I can't solve the second part which I assume I would use the Power found in part a and divide the voltage squared by that number

Physics news on Phys.org
NikkiNik said:
...resistance of 10.9 W when cold (20.0°C) and 132 W when on (hot).
P=V^2/R

I think you mean 10.9 Ω and 132 Ω right? You can just write "ohms" if you don't have the symbol for it, but it is very important to get the units right. Resistance is not the same thing as power, and therefore, they are not measured using the same units!

The equation you posted gives you the power dissipated in a resistor having resistance R and voltage V applied across it. Period.

In this situation, you have two different situations, each with a different R, but the same V (because the resistance of the lightbulb changes with temperature, but the voltage being applied across it is being kept steady). Can you calculate the power for each of these two different situations?

For V, I think you will want to use the Vrms for figuring power. This is AC current. If it was DC you could use 115 straight.

AC power is always quoted as RMS (e.g. the 230 VAC or 120 VAC) anyway. Furthermore, although we know that the voltage is AC, this is not stated explicitly in the question, suggesting that the OP isn't supposed to worry about it either way.

I didn't realize I posted W instead of omega. Yes I know how to calculate individual powers but I don't understand how I could figure out the power consumed the instant it is turned on. How am I supposed to know the resistance? How do I what the temperature is?

The lightbulb is "cold" at the instant it is turned on, and "hot" after being on a few moments.

NikkiNik said:
...(b)Calculate its power consumption after a few moments when it is hot.

Be sure to properly time your experiment.
One moment = 1.5 minutes.
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictM.html"

I'm searching for the meaning of 'few'.
Be back in three shakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I was really overthinking the problem! Thank you for your help

What is power consumption?

Power consumption is the amount of energy consumed by an electronic device or system over a specific period of time. It is usually measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

How is power consumption measured?

Power consumption is typically measured using a wattmeter, which measures the flow of electricity in a circuit. The device or system is plugged into the wattmeter and the amount of power being used is displayed in watts or kilowatts.

Why is power consumption important?

Power consumption is important for several reasons. It can impact the cost of electricity for the user, as well as the overall efficiency and sustainability of a device or system. It is also a key factor in determining the environmental impact of energy usage.

What factors affect power consumption?

Several factors can affect power consumption, including the type and efficiency of the device or system, the amount of time it is used, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, the settings and usage habits of the user can also impact power consumption.

How can power consumption be reduced?

There are various ways to reduce power consumption, such as using energy-efficient devices and systems, turning off or unplugging electronics when not in use, and adjusting settings to optimize energy usage. It is also important to regularly maintain and upgrade devices to ensure they are running efficiently.