Power dissipation in inductors

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible mistake in a book regarding the power dissipated in a pure inductor. The figure shown illustrates that in the second quarter of a cycle, V is positive and I is negative, leading to a negative power which indicates that energy is being returned by the inductor. The person questioning the accuracy of the book points out that according to the figure, V is negative and I is positive in the second quadrant. They also mention that if the integrated area per cycle is zero, there should not be any dissipated power.
uzair_ha91
I have found a possible mistake in my book...here's the text which contains it,

"Referring to figure, it can be seen that no power is disspated in a pure inductor. In the first quarter of cycle, both V and I are positive so the power is positive, which means that energy is supplied to the inductor. In the second quarter, V is positive but I is negative. Now power is negative which implies that the energy is returned by the inductor..."
(The figure looks "something" like this) ::
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/485/grapha.png

Isn't V negative and I positive in the 2nd quarter according to the figure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The author is incorrect; I is positive and V negative in second quadrant. If the integrated area per cycle is zero, then there shouldn't be any dissipated power. Integrate sin(wt) * cos(wt) over 2 pi radians, and determine what the area is.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It does appear that there may be a mistake in the text. As you correctly pointed out, in the second quarter of the cycle, the voltage (V) is negative and the current (I) is positive, which would result in a positive power dissipation, not a negative one as stated in the text. This could potentially be a typo or an error in the figure. It is important to note that power dissipation in inductors can vary depending on the specific circuit and conditions, so it is always best to double check and verify any information provided in textbooks. I would recommend bringing this to the attention of the author or publisher so that it can be corrected for future editions. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and helping to ensure the accuracy of scientific information.

1. What is power dissipation in inductors?

Power dissipation in inductors is the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy. This occurs when an inductor resists changes in current flow, resulting in the dissipation of energy in the form of heat.

2. How does power dissipation affect the performance of inductors?

Power dissipation can cause inductors to overheat, which can lead to changes in their electrical properties such as increased resistance and decreased inductance. This can ultimately affect the performance and efficiency of inductor-based circuits.

3. What factors contribute to power dissipation in inductors?

There are several factors that contribute to power dissipation in inductors, including the inductor's internal resistance, the frequency and amplitude of the current passing through it, and the ambient temperature.

4. How can power dissipation be reduced in inductors?

One way to reduce power dissipation in inductors is by using inductors with lower internal resistance. Additionally, using inductors with a higher current rating and operating them at lower frequencies can also help reduce power dissipation.

5. What are the consequences of high power dissipation in inductors?

High power dissipation in inductors can lead to overheating and potentially damage the inductor and surrounding components. It can also decrease the efficiency of the circuit and result in increased power consumption.