1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power divider/coupler question

1. Aug 21, 2006 #1
    Quick question on couplers/dividers...

Imagine a 3 port power divider....one input and two outputs that give equal outputs...say -6db from the input level.

Now say we connect the two outputs to two signal sources and connect a spectrum analyzer to the input port of the divider...so we are connecting the divider as if it were a coupler...

Should the output (taken at the divider input) necessairly be the summation of the two inputs (which are normally the outputs of the divider)?

I have seen someone do this in the past and from what I remember the two signals(one was a continuous signal and the other was a very short lived pulsing signal) really didnt appear to add together on the analyzer display...

All I have is my undergrad microwave engineering textbook to go off of, so if anyone knows some good weblinks for microwaves/couplers/dividers please let me know...

Thanks.

Russ

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?