Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Firing angle in rectifiers and inverters.

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone I am a newbie to electrical engineering, I have this problem I've been strugling with, no textbook seems to cover this problem..

A three-phase, 440-V, generator delivers 5400W of active power through two recti-fies, A and B, into a three-phase, 230-V, line as shown in Figure 3.
    The dc current through the inductor is 20A. If power loss in both rectifiers are negligible, calculate:

(a). Firing angle of the rectifier A;
    (b). Firing angle of the rectifier (inverter) B.

This is my attempt ;

V out = 5400/ 20 = 270
    For inductive load

VOUT = 1.35 × VLINE × cos α

Where ‘α’ is the firing angle of the rectifier.

Therefore,

cos α = V / 1.35 x Vline

α = 29

how does this seem? and how is the inverter's firing angle different?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello everyone I am a newbie to electrical engineering, I have this problem I've been strugling with, no textbook seems to cover this problem..

A three-phase, 440-V, generator delivers 5400W of active power through two recti-fies, A and B, into a three-phase, 230-V, line as shown in Figure 3.
    The dc current through the inductor is 20A. If power loss in both rectifiers are negligible, calculate:

(a). Firing angle of the rectifier A;
    (b). Firing angle of the rectifier (inverter) B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solutionThis is my attempt ;

V out = 5400/ 20 = 270
    For inductive load

VOUT = 1.35 × VLINE × cos α

Where ‘α’ is the firing angle of the rectifier.

Therefore,

cos α = V / 1.35 x Vline

α = 29

how does this seem? and how is the inverter's firing angle different?

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Where is Fig 3?

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4
  6. Aug 18, 2011 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Seems ok. And you can use the same formula (with the relevant line voltage) for the inverter side.

BTW The constant 1.35 comes from 3 sqrt(2) / pi.

7. Aug 18, 2011 #6
    but what is the relevent line voltage for the inverter? isn't it the same?

8. Aug 19, 2011 #7
    Not sure this is the right place to post this (perhaps this is why no one answers, but I don't know I'm new to PF). Here's some help:

In fact, there are a lot of text books that cover this. For instance see "Power electronics", from Mohan. I can't see your Figure 3, but I assume you have a perfect voltage source connected to 2 full-bridge thyristor converters (1 rectifier, 1 inverter) and some load. There should also be an inductor on the DC bridge. To find the solution for rectifier A (source):

[tex]P=V_{DC}I_{DC}[/tex]

where the voltage on the DC bus is given by:

[tex]V_{DC}=\frac{3\sqrt{2}}{\pi}V_{LL}\cos{\alpha}[/tex]

where [itex]V_{LL}[/itex] is the line-line voltage of the AC side. The DC bus current is given in the problem, which is [itex]I_{DC}[/itex]. Just isolate these for [itex]\alpha[/itex]...

For rectifier (inverter) B, same procedure, but by using a negative power and use the 230V line-line voltage. Isolate again for [itex]\alpha[/itex]... This angle should be between 90 and 180 degrees since this converter is operating in inverter mode.

M.

9. Aug 19, 2011 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

(Moderator's note -- two threads merged...)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook