Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power loss question

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    You are testing a new car in a wind-tunnel for road and wind resistance. At a speed of 75.0 Km/hr you have found that 63.0 % of the total output power of an automobile engine is used in overcoming the resistance of the road and wind against the movement of the car. If the output power of a particular car engine is 69.00 HP, what is this resistance (ie. what is the force)? Give your answer in Newtons. (Take one HP as 746 Watts.

so i was like calcualting it like this

69HP=51474
    and 60% of 51474 is 32428.62

then i did the formula of the power

power=forcexdistance/time

and got that answer but it is wrong

can anyone explain to me what i did wrong here

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you stopped showing your calculations after figuring the power used to overcome wind resistance. I don't know what you did to calculate the force, but did you check the units of your calculations all the way thru?

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

As SteamKing mentione, you didn't mention what units you used for the terms in power = force x speed. It would help us to help you if you showed more of your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook