Power of atmosphere and skyscraper windows?

In summary, when wind is forced between two skyscrapers, the windows in the taller buildings may be blown outwards due to a decrease in pressure.
graphicer89
Power of atmosphere and skyscraper windows?

Hi i was wondering about a question dealing with atmosphere and windows...If you could help me out by understanding somethings id really appreciate it..thanks alot...

In a large cities when wind is forced to blow between two rows of skyscrapers, windows in the skyscrapers are sometimes blown outwards. Why does this happen? Is it something with the atmoshpere and pressure of air??

Physics news on Phys.org

graphicer89 said:
Hi i was wondering about a question dealing with atmosphere and windows...If you could help me out by understanding somethings id really appreciate it..thanks alot...

In a large cities when wind is forced to blow between two rows of skyscrapers, windows in the skyscrapers are sometimes blown outwards. Why does this happen? Is it something with the atmoshpere and pressure of air??
You are indeed correct. The air passing over the outside of the window causes a decrease in pressure leading to a higher pressure inside the building compared to outside, thus forcing the glass outwards.

Hootenanny said:
You are indeed correct. The air passing over the outside of the window causes a decrease in pressure leading to a higher pressure inside the building compared to outside, thus forcing the glass outwards.

Doesn't the wind increase dramatically in speed when it's forced through the narrow gap between two buildings, thus increasing the pressure difference?

RoyalCat said:
Doesn't the wind increase dramatically in speed when it's forced through the narrow gap between two buildings, thus increasing the pressure difference?
I'm not entirely sure whether that is the case, but it certainly would make sense, intuitively.

Hootenanny said:
I'm not entirely sure whether that is the case, but it certainly would make sense, intuitively.

Heh, I'm just going by something I heard on a Discovery show, though, heh, so the OP should take it with a grain of salt. ^^;

Thanks both of you...really appreciate the insightfulness of this questions...i just remembered Bernoullis Principle and how it applies to this questions...i think ...thanks though keep a look out for me i will be posting some more questions...thanks again

What is the role of atmosphere in the design of skyscraper windows?

The atmosphere plays a crucial role in the design of skyscraper windows as it affects the amount of sunlight, heat, and wind that the building will be exposed to. The type of atmosphere in a particular location will determine the materials and technology used for the windows to ensure energy efficiency and structural stability.

How do skyscraper windows contribute to the energy efficiency of a building?

Skyscraper windows are designed to maximize natural light while minimizing the transfer of heat and cold. This is achieved through the use of specialized coatings, multiple panes, and insulating materials. By reducing the need for artificial lighting and HVAC systems, skyscraper windows can significantly improve the energy efficiency of a building.

What challenges do skyscraper windows face in different atmospheric conditions?

Skyscraper windows face various challenges in different atmospheric conditions. In humid environments, they may be prone to condensation, which can affect visibility and damage the building's interior. In windy areas, windows may need to withstand high pressure differentials, while in hot and sunny climates, they may need to reflect or absorb heat to maintain a comfortable temperature inside the building.

How are skyscraper windows designed to withstand extreme weather events?

Skyscraper windows are designed to withstand extreme weather events, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes. They are made from highly durable materials, such as laminated glass and reinforced frames, and are tested to withstand high winds and impact from debris. In areas prone to earthquakes, windows may also be designed with flexible connections to allow for building movement without shattering.

What advancements have been made in the design of skyscraper windows in recent years?

Advancements in technology and materials have led to significant improvements in the design of skyscraper windows in recent years. These include the development of smart windows, which can change tint or reflectivity based on the amount of sunlight, and the use of nanotechnology coatings to improve energy efficiency and self-cleaning properties. Additionally, advancements in computer modeling and testing have allowed for more precise and efficient design of skyscraper windows.