1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of atmosphere and skyscraper windows?

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    Power of atmosphere and skyscraper windows???

Hi i was wondering about a question dealing with atmosphere and windows....If you could help me out by understanding somethings id really appreciate it..thanks alot...

In a large cities when wind is forced to blow between two rows of skyscrapers, windows in the skyscrapers are sometimes blown outwards. Why does this happen? Is it something with the atmoshpere and pressure of air??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Power of atmosphere and skyscraper windows???

You are indeed correct. The air passing over the outside of the window causes a decrease in pressure leading to a higher pressure inside the building compared to outside, thus forcing the glass outwards.

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3

Doesn't the wind increase dramatically in speed when it's forced through the narrow gap between two buildings, thus increasing the pressure difference?

5. Jul 22, 2009 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not entirely sure whether that is the case, but it certainly would make sense, intuitively.

6. Jul 22, 2009 #5

Heh, I'm just going by something I heard on a Discovery show, though, heh, so the OP should take it with a grain of salt. ^^;

7. Jul 22, 2009 #6

Thanks both of you...really appreciate the insightfulness of this questions...i just remembered Bernoullis Principle and how it applies to this questions...i think ....thanks though keep a look out for me i will be posting some more questions...thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook