"Power reading" for learning physics?

I'm not sure I agree, but there is tremendous food for thought there.
To me, it shows where math and physics dissociate. The reason I tend to think I understand it is because I can understand the math, but physics requires conceptual understanding as well. With maths texts, I find that my understanding of the content is roughly equal to my ability to solve problems.

To me, it shows where math and physics dissociate. The reason I tend to think I understand it is because I can understand the math, but physics requires conceptual understanding as well. With maths texts, I find that my understanding of the content is roughly equal to my ability to solve problems.
Most students of physics find the math easier than the concepts. I am the opposite. I find the math much harder than the concepts. Sometimes I wonder whether I might have mild math dyslexia, technically known as dyscalculia. I'm not terrible at maths, but it seems to be my weakest subject, out of the traditional school subjects. I am not talking about music or art or phys ed or computer programming.

AndreasC
Gold Member
Most students of physics find the math easier than the concepts
Not sure this is the case. I know many people who have trouble with the math.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Politics, psychology, newspapers
Not even for those if one wants to understand something; depending on what information one is interested in interpreting.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I also find hard watch video when man talk on english and with text translation on english.My brain switching from sound to text all the time,so dont know if will listen man voice or read text...Then I cover text with paper and just listen..

Do you feel easier to read long text from books/papers than from monitor?
What is very important is to acquire the English language first, and build your written/read literacy over quite a large bit of time, possibly some years. No way around this.

Most students of physics find the math easier than the concepts.
For sure physics is harder,phsyics you must really understand,math you can practice with repetition..
If you dont understand physics,none repetition will help you!
So if your IQ is low, forget about physics
You cant be pretty if you are ugly.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK and weirdoguy
math you can practice with repetition..
Maybe some high school math and basic calculus but even then not everything you can practice with repetition. In general math needs as much of deep understanding as physics. During my studies at Warsaw University most of first year students failed because of math.

I would say that high school physics is harder than high school math, but on advanced level the difficulty is kind of equal.

Likes Mayhem and BvU
I would say that high school physics is harder than high school math, but on advanced level the difficulty is kind of equal.
I agree.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
For sure physics is harder,phsyics you must really understand,math you can practice with repetition..
If you dont understand physics,none repetition will help you!
So if your IQ is low, forget about physics
You cant be pretty if you are ugly.
"IQ" is a big misunderstanding.

Likes AndreasC
I would say that high school physics is harder than high school math[...]
For me high school physics was a breeze for the most part (some or the math was a slight problem), while high school math was a nightmare. I remember looking at a model answer of applied math and understanding easily how the initial equations were created by resolving the diagram horizontally and vertically, and being able to see that the simultaneous equations were solved for the solution, but not being able to see how the solver had been able to see how to solve those simultaneous equations. When I showed it to a friend, he said, it's just a matter of getting better through experience. It's the same now. It's as if math is the only major school subject I find difficult. When I think mathematically I become error-prone and generally stupid.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
For me high school physics was a breeze for the most part (some or the math was a slight problem), while high school math was a nightmare. I remember looking at a model answer of applied math and understanding easily how the initial equations were created by resolving the diagram horizontally and vertically, and being able to see that the simultaneous equations were solved for the solution, but not being able to see how the solver had been able to see how to solve those simultaneous equations. When I showed it to a friend, he said, it's just a matter of getting better through experience. It's the same now. It's as if math is the only major school subject I find difficult. When I think mathematically I become error-prone and generally stupid.
Your experience is what you say it is. We cannot argue much against it. You needed to get better at basic arithmetic and basic algebra. My guess is those are what are standing in your way.

Likes weirdoguy