Power Series for e^x Homework Help

In summary, a power series for e^x is an infinite series that represents the exponential function e^x and can be used to approximate its value for any input value of x. It is derived using the Taylor series expansion and has applications in calculus, differential equations, statistics, and probability. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used, but it can never be completely accurate. While there are alternative methods for approximating e^x, the power series is valuable as it does not require any external tools.
islandboy401

Homework Statement

Problem: Find the value of b for which
21.JPG

Homework Equations

Power series for (1/1+x) or in this case, power series for (1/1+b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting ln (-5/6) as the answer, but apparently the correct answer is ln (5/6). I do not see why.

Please look at my work and tell me what I am doing wrong.

21w.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the problem.

Go back and write it out with the sums, limits, and ns in their proper places and I think you will see your error.

1. What is a power series for e^x?

A power series for e^x is an infinite series of the form ∑(x^n/n!), where n ranges from 0 to infinity. This series represents the exponential function e^x and can be used to approximate the value of e^x for any input value of x.

2. How is a power series for e^x derived?

A power series for e^x is derived using the Taylor series expansion. This expansion involves taking derivatives of the function e^x at a particular point (usually x=0) and plugging them into the general formula for a power series. The resulting series is the power series for e^x.

3. What are the applications of a power series for e^x?

A power series for e^x has many applications in mathematics and science. It can be used to approximate the value of e^x for any input value of x, making it useful in calculus and differential equations. It is also used in statistics and probability to model exponential growth and decay processes.

4. How accurate is a power series for e^x?

The accuracy of a power series for e^x depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, since it is an infinite series, it can never be completely accurate. In general, using more terms will result in a more accurate approximation.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a power series for e^x?

Yes, there are alternative methods for approximating the value of e^x, such as using a calculator or computer program. However, a power series for e^x is useful because it can be used to calculate the value of e^x without needing any external tools, making it a valuable tool for mathematicians and scientists.