Power Series solution to dy/dx=x+y

In summary, Thomas's Classical Edition provides a process for finding a solution to a equation with an initial condition by using successive approximations.
Odious Suspect
This is from an example in Thomas's Classical Edition. The task is to find a solution to ##\frac{dy}{dx}=x+y## with the initial condition ##x=0; y=1##. He uses what he calls successive approximations.
$$y_1 = 1$$
$$\frac{dy_2}{dx}=y_1+x$$
$$\frac{dy_3}{dx}=y_2+x$$
$$\frac{dy_{n+1}}{dx}=y_n+x$$

I can easily follow the process, but I'm not seeing why I should consider each subsequent expression to provide a better approximation of ##y##. Is there an easy way to explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Odious Suspect said:
Is there an easy way to explain this?
Hi Odius:

I suggest you start by write down the specific approximations for several yn(x), n = 1,2,3,... and see if you can spot a pattern.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

I guess I don't follow. I have a generic form for the nth term ##\int_0^x 1 \, df_n(t)=2 \sum _{k=2}^{n-1} \frac{x^k}{k!}+\frac{x^n}{n!}+x+1##, but I'm not sure why I should assume it is a better approximation than its predecessor.

Sure, I can carry out the process to produce an infinite series and convince myself that it solves the equation, but I still don't see the motivation that would get me started if I didn't already know the answer. I guess I shall draw graphs of the individual terms of the partial sums or something like that.

Hi Odius:

Take the difference yn+1(x) -yn(x). y(x) as the limit of yn(x) is then the infinite sum of these differences. You can then find a representation of the error for yn(x) which can show that the error → 0 as n→ ∞. (I am guessing you will find all the terms in the infinite sum are positive. If this is wrong, there are some variations to deal with that situation.)

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Odius:

Take the difference yn+1(x) -yn(x). y(x) as the limit of yn(x) is then the infinite sum of these differences. You can then find a representation of the error for yn(x) which can show that the error → 0 as n→ ∞. (I am guessing you will find all the terms in the infinite sum are positive. If this is wrong, there are some variations to deal with that situation.)

Regards,
Buzz
I'm not sure I'm parsing this correctly. Is this what you intended? ##y_{n+1}-y_n(x)y(x)##. And do you mean for me to leave ##y(x)## as an symbolic, yet to be determined function?

Darn! Library is closing. Will pick this up later.

I think have something that works. It's slightly different than your textbook, but you might like it. Because of the initial conditions, the first two terms of a power series in ## y ## will be ## y=1+x ## and we can write ## y ## as ## y=1+x+A_2 x^2 +A_3 x^3 +A_4 x^4 +... ## . Plug ## y ## into both sides of the equation. (When you plug into the right side you get ## 1+2x+A_2 x^2+A_3 x^3+... ##). Set like powers of x equal on each side and you can successively solve for the coefficients ## A_2, A_3, ... ##

Odious Suspect said:
I'm not sure I'm parsing this correctly. Is this what you intended? yn+1−yn(x)y(x)y_{n+1}-y_n(x)y(x).
Hi Odius:

Sorry about the confusion. The "." dot is a period, not a multiplication sign.
Take the difference yn+1(x) -yn(x).
y(x) as the limit of yn(x) is then the infinite sum of these differences.​

Regards,
Buzz

Only an observation, the series ##y=a_{0}+a_{1}x+a_{2}x^{2}+\cdots## in order to be a solution of ##y'=x+y## must have ##a_{0}=1## (by initial condition) so ##y=1+a_{1}x+a_{2}x^{2}+\cdots## put it inside ##y'=x+y## you obtain relations for coefficients: ## a_{1}+2a_{2}x+3a_{3}x^{2}+\cdots =x+1+a_{1}x+a_{2}x^{2}+\cdots## so ##a_{1}=1##, ##a_{2}=1##, ##a_{3}=\frac{1}{3}##, ...

This procedure is the same thing as the approximation of your problem, you start with an approximation of zero order ##y_{1}=1## after you pass to examine an approximation of order 1 so you find integrating and set ##y_{2}(0)=1 ## that ##y_{2}=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2}## that is exact until the first order, after you proceed obtaining ##y_{3}=1+x+x^{2}+\frac{x^{3}}{6}## so on ... at the limit ##n\rightarrow +\infty## you find the same solution as before ...

Odious Suspect said:
This is from an example in Thomas's Classical Edition. The task is to find a solution to ##\frac{dy}{dx}=x+y## with the initial condition ##x=0; y=1##. He uses what he calls successive approximations.
$$y_1 = 1$$
$$\frac{dy_2}{dx}=y_1+x$$
$$\frac{dy_3}{dx}=y_2+x$$
$$\frac{dy_{n+1}}{dx}=y_n+x$$

I can easily follow the process, but I'm not seeing why I should consider each subsequent expression to provide a better approximation of ##y##. Is there an easy way to explain this?
I think that if you take those equations one at a time, do the substitution of the proceeding equation, do the integration wrt x, then you will have a sequence of polynomials of higher and higher powers of x. Those will be truncated Taylor series. So they get closer to the full Taylor series and become better approximations of the solution.

FactChecker said:
I think that if you take those equations one at a time, do the substitution of the proceeding equation, do the integration wrt x, then you will have a sequence of polynomials of higher and higher powers of x. Those will be truncated Taylor series. So they get closer to the full Taylor series and become better approximations of the solution.
I think a more systematic procedure would be to write the equation as ## y=dy/dx -x ## and let ## y_{n+1}=dy_{n}/dx-x ## Normally the Thomas calculus text is quite good, but I think this one is not one of his better solutions. Scratch that (the y=dy/dx -x), it doesn't work because it doesn't get you the next power of x. This is one iterative solution that looked somewhat clumsy... The method I used in post #6 seems more logical for this one. It isn't obvious what to do with the x term if you try to do an integral solution with an iteration=do you integrate the x, etc. ?

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I think a more systematic procedure would be to write the equation as ## y=dy/dx -x ## and let ## y_{n+1}=dy_{n}/dx-x ## Normally the Thomas calculus text is quite good, but I think this one is not one of his better solutions. Scratch that (the y=dy/dx -x), it doesn't work because it doesn't get you the next power of x. This is one iterative solution that looked somewhat clumsy... The method I used in post #6 seems more logical for this one. It isn't obvious what to do with the x term if you try to do an integral solution with an iteration=do you integrate the x, etc. ?
My main point was to answer his question of why the book explanation is described as giving a series of better approximations. I think it is because it is giving more terms in an expansion of the solution.

P.S. I don't like to fight the assigned textbook explanations. It always seems to cause more confusion. So I usually try to explain what the textbook is saying.

Likes SammyS and Charles Link
FactChecker said:

But I'm not "allowed" to think in terms of Taylor series. It hasn't been introduced yet.

Odious Suspect said:
But I'm not "allowed" to think in terms of Taylor series. It hasn't been introduced yet.

Often when you start a subject, you will be shown methods which work but you will not be able understand the proofs until much later.

Ultimately the reason why this method works is that the map [itex]T : C^\infty([0,a]) \to C^\infty([0,a])[/itex] where [tex]T(y) : x \mapsto 1 + \tfrac12 x^2 + \int_0^x y(t)\,dt,[/tex] or an iterate thereof, can be shown to be a contraction with respect to a suitable metric on [itex]C^\infty([0,a])[/itex]. It follows by the contraction mapping theorem that any sequence of the form [itex]y_{n+1} = T(y_n)[/itex] tends to a unique fixed point, which in this case is the solution of the differential equation [itex]y' = x + y[/itex] subject to [itex]x(0) = 1[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker

Related to Power Series solution to dy/dx=x+y

1. What is a power series solution?

A power series solution is a method for solving differential equations by representing the solution as a sum of terms, each of which is a polynomial multiplied by a constant coefficient. The series is then truncated at a certain point, resulting in an approximate solution.

2. How is a power series solution different from other methods?

Unlike other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution, a power series solution does not require the equation to be in a specific form. It is a general method that can be used for a wide range of differential equations.

3. What is the advantage of using a power series solution?

The advantage of using a power series solution is that it can provide an approximate solution to a differential equation that may not have an exact solution. It can also be used to find a solution in cases where other methods fail.

4. How is a power series solution calculated?

A power series solution is calculated by first expanding the differential equation into a power series. Then, the coefficients of the series are determined using a recurrence relation. Finally, the series is truncated at a certain point to obtain an approximate solution.

5. When is a power series solution not a valid solution?

A power series solution is not a valid solution if the series does not converge, or if the truncated series is not a good approximation of the actual solution. In these cases, other methods should be used to find a more accurate solution.