Power Set Unions and inclusion

In summary, this proof is making the user think and trying different approaches. The user is having trouble proving the contrapositive but is hopeful.
Kolmin
I am studying Velleman's "How to prove it: a structured approach" and I have to say that it is one of the best decision I have taken. Right now I am working on the exercises that are on Velleman's page along with the java applet "Proof Designer" and I have the feeling I start to get a bit how proofs work. But still...

This proof is really making me think and I don't see how I can get out of it.

Assume [itex]\wp[/itex](A)[itex]\cup[/itex][itex]\wp[/itex](B)=[itex]\wp[/itex](A[itex]\cup[/itex]B)
Prove that A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B or B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A.
[Suggested Exercise no.20]

I have to admit I tried basically everything (i.e. contradiction, cases) but I don't really go anywhere close to the solution.

For example, proof designer asks you to define a bounded variable if it is in the "given" section. I rephrase [itex]\wp[/itex](A)[itex]\cup[/itex][itex]\wp[/itex](B)=[itex]\wp[/itex](A[itex]\cup[/itex]B) and I don't know how to define the subset X of A and B (out of desperation I put X=A but doesn't look a great idea).

Still I am not sure if it is a matter of not knowing how to properly use the software (which is actually quite easy) or I simply don't know how to work out the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does your contradiction look?

Tried to use Venn Diagram?? It really helps in visualizing the sets, their union, intersections, etc.

Kolmin said:
I am studying Velleman's "How to prove it: a structured approach" and I have to say that it is one of the best decision I have taken. Right now I am working on the exercises that are on Velleman's page along with the java applet "Proof Designer" and I have the feeling I start to get a bit how proofs work. But still...

This proof is really making me think and I don't see how I can get out of it.

Assume [itex]\wp[/itex](A)[itex]\cup[/itex][itex]\wp[/itex](B)=[itex]\wp[/itex](A[itex]\cup[/itex]B)
Prove that A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B or B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A.
[Suggested Exercise no.20]

I have to admit I tried basically everything (i.e. contradiction, cases) but I don't really go anywhere close to the solution.

For example, proof designer asks you to define a bounded variable if it is in the "given" section. I rephrase [itex]\wp[/itex](A)[itex]\cup[/itex][itex]\wp[/itex](B)=[itex]\wp[/itex](A[itex]\cup[/itex]B) and I don't know how to define the subset X of A and B (out of desperation I put X=A but doesn't look a great idea).

Still I am not sure if it is a matter of not knowing how to properly use the software (which is actually quite easy) or I simply don't know how to work out the proof.
How about proving the contra positive?
Assume [itex]\displaystyle \text{ A} \not\subseteq \text{B and B} \not\subseteq \text{ A }.[/itex]

Prove [itex]\displaystyle \ \
\wp\text{(A)}\cup\wp\text{(B)}\neq\wp\text{(A}\cup\text{B)}\,.
[/itex]​

Last edited:
Well, my contradiction didn't look that great...

About the Venn diagrams, it's not a matter of understanding the result (at least this one...): the only problem is really to prove it.

Right now I am trying with the contrapositive (thanks for the suggestion...:smile: ) but it's a bit problematic. I don't know if you ever used "Proof Designer": I find it amazing, because it really forces you to not fly around.
The fact is that I guess I should build up a subset with certain properties but I am not really sure I can do it. [...or maybe I am completely wrong]

Btw, a question that should look silly but that I facing yesterday.

Let's imagine we have the following goal:

A not-[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B [itex]\vee[/itex] A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B

Instead of using the disjunction or the cases approach to prove the goal, can we consider it an implication?

I mean, basically it is the same of

[itex]\neg[/itex](A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B) [itex]\vee[/itex] A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B

which is the same as

A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B

I was wondering cause (if the trick is not wrong) you cannot use it in Proof Designer

Anyway, I finally got it.
Being a bit in a hurry for a travel, I will post the proof when I'll have time (hopefully before coming from the trip).

What is a power set union?

A power set union is a mathematical operation that combines the elements of two or more power sets to create a new set containing all possible combinations of elements from the original power sets.

How is a power set union calculated?

To calculate a power set union, you first list out all the elements in each of the power sets. Then, you combine these elements to create a new set. The size of the new set will be equal to 2n, where n is the number of elements in the original power sets.

What is the significance of power set unions?

Power set unions are important in set theory and other areas of mathematics because they allow us to create new sets with a larger number of elements. This can be useful in solving problems and proving theorems.

How does the concept of inclusion relate to power set unions?

Inclusion is an important concept in power set unions because it determines which elements will be included in the new set. If an element is present in one or more of the original power sets, it will be included in the new set.

What are some real-world applications of power set unions?

Power set unions have various applications in computer science, such as in the design of algorithms and data structures. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring.