Help for 15-Year Old Struggling with Pre-Calc

• Thread starter Desperado
  • Start date
In summary, a 15-year old high school student is struggling in a pre-calc course and is seeking advice on what areas to review from his previous math courses. Some suggestions include talking to the teacher for personalized help and focusing on linear equations, quadratic equations, and trigonometry. Specifically, learning the unit circle and trig identities is recommended for success in the course.
Desperado
Hello all, I am new to the forums. I am a 15-year old junior in high school. Right now, I am enrolled in a pre-calc course, and I am having a hard time following the rest of the class. I took Alg II (academic) almost two years ago, and then took Geometry last year (honors). Since i took Alg II that long ago, and it was not a very advance course, I am behind in the class, and I would like if you guys can point me out to what things i should become familiar with to do better in this class. Keep in mind that I am in the beginning of the course, so I just want to know what areas I should review from Alg II.

Thank you very much in advanced, and if this is not the correct forum, please forgive me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well basic advice for success in a course is always talk to the teacher. the teacher can help you with exactly what you need for that course. Also a personal conversation will reveal quickly what areas you need to review.

I.e. we can say what we think is important, but your teacher can tell what you already know as well as what he will emphasize in this course.

Where are you having trouble? What things are passing you by? Do yuo nkow your linear equations well? what about quadratic equations? trig?

i'm not sure how ur HS does it but sually from my memory from when i took the course they split it up Trig for 1/2 of the year and "pre" calc for the second half (trig is so important in Calculus ...trust me learn that stuff lol)...the precalc part i thought was useless like just more algebra...anyways in the trig part you should become familiar with all the major trig functions like sin, cos, tan, cot, sec, csc. ...some parts of the trig course was geometry oriented

My advice is learn the unit circle and trig identities well, those damn things will never go away

1. What is the best way to help a 15-year-old struggling with Pre-Calc?

The best way to help a 15-year-old struggling with Pre-Calc is to first identify the specific areas where they are struggling. Once you know where the difficulty lies, you can provide targeted practice and resources to help them improve. Additionally, it is important to provide emotional support and encouragement, as math can be a challenging subject for many students.

2. How can I motivate my 15-year-old to do better in Pre-Calc?

Motivation can be a difficult issue for students struggling with Pre-Calc. One way to motivate them is to connect the subject to their interests and goals. For example, if they are interested in engineering, you can explain how Pre-Calc is a fundamental building block for that field. You can also set achievable goals and reward their progress to keep them motivated.

3. Are there any online resources that can help my 15-year-old with Pre-Calc?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help students with Pre-Calc. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Mathway, and Wolfram Alpha. These websites offer practice problems, step-by-step solutions, and explanations for various Pre-Calc concepts.

4. How often should I be checking in with my 15-year-old's progress in Pre-Calc?

It is important to regularly check in with your 15-year-old's progress in Pre-Calc, but the frequency may vary depending on their individual needs. If they are struggling, it may be helpful to check in weekly or even daily to ensure they are keeping up with their work. If they are doing well, checking in once a month may be sufficient.

5. What are some additional tips for helping a 15-year-old struggling with Pre-Calc?

Aside from providing targeted practice and resources, it is important to also focus on building a strong foundation in math. This includes reviewing basic concepts and regularly practicing mental math. It may also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, encouraging your 15-year-old to seek help from their teacher or a tutor can also be beneficial.