Precalculus 11 Word problem- Fundraising

In summary, if the selling price is increased by $2 to $22, then the club will make an extra 52 shirt sales.
bonnieerika
Hi, I don't understand what this question is asking and I have idea how to do it.. any help is very much appreciated! What does it mean to "maximize the revenue"?

The Club sells sweatshirts as a fundraiser. They sell 1200 shirts a year at $20 each. They want to increase the price. A survey indicates that, for every $2 increase in price, there will be drop of 60 sales a year. What should the selling price be in order to maximize the revenue?

Physics news on Phys.org
bonnieerika said:
Hi, I don't understand what this question is asking and I have idea how to do it.. any help is very much appreciated! What does it mean to "maximize the revenue"?

The Club sells sweatshirts as a fundraiser. They sell 1200 shirts a year at $20 each. They want to increase the price. A survey indicates that, for every $2 increase in price, there will be drop of 60 sales a year. What should the selling price be in order to maximize the revenue?

First of all: what is meant by the word "revenue"? You need to answer that before you worry about maximizing it.

Ray Vickson said:
First of all: what is meant by the word "revenue"? You need to answer that before you worry about maximizing it.

I know what revenue means now. It means the total income.

bonnieerika said:
I know what revenue means now. It means the total income.

OK, so you want to achieve the largest income. Presumably, the income depends on the selling price, and you need to figure out what this dependency is. You are told all the information you need; just sit down and think things through, and pay attention to all the information your are given. If I say more I will essentially be giving away the solution.

One technique to building a formula is to create a table with the known variables and the outputs, and then once you see the pattern of the curve (where it starts to drop in price), you should be able to create the formula and get the answer.

bonnieerika said:

So if "s" is the price then s- 20 is the "increase in price" over $20 and (s- 20)/2 is the number of "$2 increases in price". Since " there will be drop of 60 sales a year" for each such $2 increase in price, How many shirt sales will you lose? Since you sold 1200 at $20 each, how many sales will you have at price x?

Thank you all, I figured out the problem myself. It's just a simple equation and I completed the square then found the x intercept. :)

1. What is the purpose of the fundraising in this precalculus word problem?

The purpose of the fundraising in this precalculus word problem is to raise money for a specific cause or organization. The money raised will be used for a specific purpose, such as funding a school trip or donating to a charity.

2. How is precalculus relevant to this fundraising word problem?

Precalculus is relevant to this fundraising word problem because it involves using mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems. In this case, precalculus can be used to calculate the total amount of money raised, the number of participants needed to reach a fundraising goal, and other important factors related to the fundraising event.

3. What types of mathematical equations or formulas are typically used in precalculus fundraising word problems?

Some common mathematical equations and formulas used in precalculus fundraising word problems include linear equations, quadratic equations, and exponential functions. These equations and formulas are used to model and solve different aspects of the fundraising event, such as the amount of money raised over time or the number of participants needed to reach a goal.

4. How can precalculus skills be applied to real-life situations like fundraising?

Precalculus skills can be applied to real-life situations like fundraising by helping to analyze and solve problems. In the context of fundraising, precalculus skills can be used to create a budget, determine the best pricing strategy for tickets or products being sold, and make projections for future fundraising events.

5. Can precalculus be used to improve the success of a fundraising event?

Yes, precalculus can be used to improve the success of a fundraising event. By using mathematical concepts and equations, organizers can make informed decisions about the event, such as setting realistic fundraising goals, determining the optimal number of participants, and creating a budget that maximizes profits. This can ultimately lead to a more successful and profitable fundraising event.