1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precalculus Help

1. Sep 14, 2003 #1
    Need some clarification as to whether the following can be simplified any further (teacher takes off points for not being completely simplified) or how to simplify it further:

1. -3x + 5 + (x + 3)^1/2

2. -3x + 5 - (x + 3)^1/2

3. Domain of (3x + 5) / (x + 3)^1/2 <-- Is it x > -3?

4. Range of (-3x + 8)^1/2 <-- Is it y > 0?

5. ((-3x - 3h + 5) - (-3x + 5)) / h

6. Is the inverse of -3x + 5:
    (x - 5) / -3?

7. Is this function even, odd, neither, or both? (I put neither):

v(x) = x^5/3

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2003 #2
    1,2,4 and 6 look fine to me.
    3) To find the domain of a rational function (one that is in the form of a fraction), set the denominator equal to 0. The denominator cannot be zero obviously, so this x-value is not in the domain. The domain is then the intersection of the domain of the numerator with the domain of the denominator minus the x-values for which the fraction is undefined (eg: if the domain of the numerator is x={1,2,3,4,5} and the domain of the denomator is x={1,2,5,8,9} but at x=2 the denominator is zero, then the domain of the function is x={1,5}).
    5)Distribute the negative sign on the expression -(-3x+5).
    7)I think this depennds on whether you mean y(x)=x5/3 or (1/3)x5, but maybe not. Remember, to figure out if it is even or odd use the definitions:

f(-x)=f(x) <--> f(x) is even
    eg: f(x)=x2
    f(-x)=(-x)2=x2=f(x)

f(-x)=-f(x) <--> f(x) is odd
    eg: f(x)=x3
    just plug in -x for x and see what happens

Last edited: Sep 15, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook