Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precise definition of linear combination

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    i know that a linear combination of the vectors {v1,v2,...,vn} is any sum with terms that are scalar multiples of those vectors. But is a1v1 + a2v2 the same linear combination as a2v2 + a1v1? i know they evaluate to the same thing because vector addition is commutative but if i wanted to be precise would i say that it's the same linear combination or a different one only with the same set of coefficients? because if at least one of b1 and b2 was different from a1 and a2, then b1v1 + b2v2 is not considered to be the same linear combination even though they might be equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi redjoker! :smile:
    Yes!

And stop worrying :wink: … there really isn't a problem! :biggrin:

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3

mma

The point is that linear combination refers to a relation between a vector, say x and a set of vectors say {xi}
    A good definition is of Paul Halmos (in Finite-dimensional vector spaces):
    In other words, the phrase "x is the linear combination of..." is the synonym of "x is linearly dependent on...".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?