Precise measurements in Quantum Mechanics

In summary: The uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be measured precisely. This follows from the expectation value postulate, which states that an observable associated with the operator A^ can be precisely measured only if the wave function ψ of the system is an eigenfunction of A^.
mpkannan
It follows from the Expectation value postulate that an observable A, associated with the operator A^, can be precisely measured only if the wave function ψ of the system is an eigenfunction of A^ .

Accordingly, the position and momentum of a particle can never be precisely measured because the wave function (energy eigenfunction) is not an eigenfunction of the operators of these properties.

In the popular statement of the uncertainty principle, viz., the position and momentum of a particle cannot be measured precisely and simultaneously, it appears that one of these properties can be precisely measured sacrificing the other. Does it not contradict the above deduction from the expectation value postulate, that the wave function should be an eigenfunction of the operator of the property in order to measure the property precisely?

Physics news on Phys.org
A quantum state cannot be a simultaneous eigenfunction of position and momentum. Position eigenstates do exist, as do momentum eigenstates. You just can't be an eigenstate of both.

You may take an arbitrary state and measure its position, so that it becomes (collapses into) a position eigenstate. The state now has a determinate, known position. The probability that is a particular value is given by square of the projection of the original state onto the position basis (ie this is probably what you mean by the expectation value postulate). Note that, unless the original state was a position eigenstate, your new state is different; the act of measurement (the projection onto the new basis) has altered the state!

You may then take this position eigenstate and measure its momentum, so that it becomes a momentum eigenstate. The state has changed again; now it has determinate, known position.

If you had two commuting observables A and B (position and momentum are NOT commuting), you could take an eigenstate of A and then measure its B without changing the state. This is because commuting observables share an eigenbasis: the projection (the measurement) has no effect.

mpkannan said:
It follows from the Expectation value postulate that an observable A, associated with the operator A^, can be precisely measured only if the wave function ψ of the system is an eigenfunction of A^ .
Why should this follow? If I throw a standard dice, my expectation value is 3.5 but my measurement outcome is always "precisely" an integer between 1 and 6.

Precise measurements in QM

kith said:
Why should this follow? If I throw a standard dice, my expectation value is 3.5 but my measurement outcome is always "precisely" an integer between 1 and 6.

But, you cannot predict whether you get 1 or 2 or ...6 in each measurement you make. This leads to uncertainty.

I think that, by "precise", mpkannan means "determinate". If ψ is an eigenstate to begin with, we are guaranteed that its measurement will yield a particular value (the corresponding eigenvalue). Otherwise, we can't predict with certainty the outcome of the measurement.

"Precise" probably isn't the most appropriate term since it is typically used as kith used it.

kith said:

In a VERY hand-wavy way (hand-wavy because I'm using ordinary uncertainty about the state of the die, a very different mathematical proposition than superposition of eigenfunctions)...

WARNING - hand-waving follows. Use at your own risk!

While the die is in the air the expectation is indeed 3.5. Once it lands on a flat surface and stops (that is, interacts with the measuring apparatus) it will settle into one of six states defined by which face is up; all six of these are very different from the state while it's in the air. When the die is in the in-the-air state, I cannot claim to have made any measurement of its value; all I can say is that if I made such a measurement the expectation value would be 3.5. After I've forced the die into one of the six resting-on-a-flat-surface states, I can read its value off the top face with absolute precision, and (because the die is in a different state) the expectation value of the next reading is not 3.5.

We could push the analogy to the breaking point (Hey - it's your analogy not mine! - don't blame me!) by saying that the in-the-air state is analogous to a superposition of the six on-a-flat-surface states which are analogous to eigenstates of the "value operator".

However, we can't push the analogy far enough to answer OP's question (How do we reconcile the uncertainty principle with the fact of precise values of observables in some eigenstates) because we'd need a second non-commuting observable, and dice don't have that.

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. How are measurements made in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, measurements are made by using specialized instruments such as particle detectors or spectrometers. These instruments are able to detect and measure the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. Why is precision important in quantum mechanics?

Precision is important in quantum mechanics because the behavior of particles at the quantum level is inherently unpredictable. By making precise measurements, scientists are able to gather more accurate data and make more accurate predictions about the behavior of particles.

4. Can we ever achieve absolute precision in quantum measurements?

No, according to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, it is impossible to achieve absolute precision in quantum measurements. There will always be a level of uncertainty and unpredictability in the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How do scientists account for measurement errors in quantum mechanics?

Scientists account for measurement errors in quantum mechanics by using statistical methods and taking multiple measurements. By gathering a large amount of data and analyzing the results, scientists can estimate the margin of error in their measurements and make more accurate predictions about the behavior of particles.