Predicting Precipitate Formation with Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH Solutions

• Thread starter ghostanime2001
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of 1.5g of Al2(SO4)3(s) to a beaker containing 1125 mL of 0.015M NaOH solution and whether or not a precipitate will form. The Ksp of Al(OH)3(s) is given as 2x10^-8. The expert explains that the concentration of Al3+ needs to be calculated by dividing the mass of Al2(SO4)3(s) by its molar mass and then taking into account the 2 moles of Al3+ produced per mole of dissolved sulfate. The resulting concentration is compared to the Ksp value to determine if a precipitate will form.
ghostanime2001
If 1.5g of [tex]Al_{2}(SO_{4})_{3)_{(s)}[/tex] is added to a beaker containing 1125 mL of 0.015M NaOH solution will a precipitate occur ? Ksp of [tex]Al(OH)_{3}[/tex] = [tex]2x10^{-8}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to try by yourself first.

15g/342g/mol = 0.00438 mol/1.125 L = 0.00389 M

[tex]Al_{2}(SO_{4})_{3)_{(s)} --> 2Al^{3+} + 3SO_{4}^{-2}[/tex]
[tex][Al^{3+}]=0.00389 mol/l divided by 2 moles of 2Al^{3+} produced=0.001945M[/tex]
[tex]NaOH_{(aq)} --> Na^{+}_{(aq)} + OH^{-}_{(aq)}[/tex]
[tex][OH] = 0.015 M 1:1 mole ratio[/tex]

Q=(0.001945)(0.015)^3
Q=6.56x10^-9
Q<Ksp
therefore precipitate forms.

1.5 or 15?

Why do you divide by two?

Because 2 moles of Al3+ are produced for every Al2(SO4)3 that dissolved

and Al(OH)3 produces 1 mole of Al3+ ions

This problem is a little different instead of having 2 solutions being mixed together and findting the concentration of the diluted participants its rather putting a mass of something in this case Al2(SO4)3(s) into a beaker full of 1125ml = 1.125 L

ghostanime2001 said:
Because 2 moles of Al3+ are produced for every Al2(SO4)3 that dissolved

Once again - if two moles of Al3+ are produced per each mole of salt dissolved, why do you divide by two?

Once again: was it 1.5 g, or 15 g, as you started with one number, but you used th eother in your calculations.

1.5g

i just did my exam and surprisingly this question was on it. Let me set up the problem properly

so is anyone going to help me out on this or not ?

Ive trie and tried and i tried what the ****

If 1.5 grams of Al2(SO4)3(s) is added to a beaker containing 1125 mL of 0.015M NaOH solution will a precipitate occur? Ksp of Al(OH)3(s)=2.0x10^-8

Show your calculations. You have already tried once, but you were wrong - and I have pointed to two problems in your calculations. You have ignored my post so far.

Thats the problem i don't know how to do the calculation! When i say i don't know how i reaaaaaally don't know how to do the problem !

What don't u understand??!?

it looks like u ignored my my POST so far when u asked me if it was 15 or 1.5 grams I ALREADY TOLD YOU its 1.5 grams man ****

You have correctly started solving the question by calculating concentration of Al3+. However, you calculated it wrong.

Al2(SO4)3(s) [tex]\Longleftrightarrow[/tex] 2Al3+(aq) + 3SO42-(aq)

The question says i have 1.5 grams so I am going to take 1.5g/342.14g/mol molar mass = 0.00438 mol

Then since the Al2(SO4)3(s) is being submerged into the NaOH solution that has volume 1125 mL (1.125 L) I am assuming it goes in the beaker so it's concentration becomes:

0.00438 mol/1.125 L = 0.00389 mol/L

This is concentration of aluminum sulfate, but not of Al3+. How many moles of Al3+ are introduced into the solution per each mole of dissolved sulfate?

0.00438 mol x 2 mol Al3+ = 0.00876 mol Al3+

2 moles of Al^3+ ions in solution per each mole of aluminum sulfate dissolved

So is anybody going to decide if my answer is right or not ?

FAQ: Predicting Precipitate Formation with Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH Solutions

1. What is the purpose of predicting precipitate formation with Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH solutions?

The purpose of predicting precipitate formation is to determine whether a chemical reaction between Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH solutions will result in the formation of a solid precipitate. This information is important in various fields such as chemistry, environmental science, and engineering, as it can help in understanding and controlling chemical reactions and their potential impact on the environment.

2. How do Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH solutions react to form a precipitate?

Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH solutions react through a double displacement reaction, where the positively charged ions (Al3+ and Na+) switch places and form new compounds. The resulting compound, Al(OH)3, is insoluble in water and therefore forms a solid precipitate.

3. What factors can affect precipitate formation between Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH solutions?

The formation of a precipitate can be affected by various factors such as the concentration and temperature of the solutions, the pH of the solution, and the presence of other substances or impurities. These factors can alter the solubility of the resulting compound and affect the formation of a solid precipitate.

4. How can the solubility of Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH be determined to predict precipitate formation?

The solubility of Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH can be determined by conducting solubility tests at different temperatures and pH levels. The solubility of a compound is usually expressed in grams per 100 mL of water, and this information can be used to predict the formation of a precipitate based on the concentration of the solutions.

5. What are the potential applications of predicting precipitate formation with Al2(SO4)3 and NaOH solutions?

Predicting precipitate formation has various applications, such as in the production of chemicals and pharmaceuticals, wastewater treatment, and mineral processing. It can also help in understanding the behavior of substances in different environments and in predicting potential environmental impacts of chemical reactions.

Back