1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preliminary Design Analysis of Landing Struts for a Light Aircraft, Please help!

1. Dec 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey, I'm struggling beyond belief with this assignment, one of the attached pdf's is the question and the variables given. What I'm struggling with most is what order I'm meant to do things in, I think I've got the start of it sussed but beyond that I'm clueless I've got many pages of random calculations but I'm not sure if any are correct.

2. Relevant equations
    On PDF

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are a couple of pages that I've done attached, literally have no idea if what I'm doing is correct though

Any help would be much appreciated... I'm desperate!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not really my field but have you got the direction right for the friction force? At touch down the wheels will be pushed outwards so I expected friction to act inwards?

Edit: or are they concerned about the worse case where the aircraft is landing with side slip/crabbing? In which case you are probably right.

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3
    Hmm I'm not to sure if they are concerned with a worse case scenario, it'd make sense to me just to be safe side of things.

5. Dec 20, 2012 #4
    Hi WetFork. I am a second year SHU student on the same assignment as you. Has anyone on your course got any further with this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook