Preparing 40mM TES pH 7.4 - Calculating A-/HA

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
In summary, the goal is to prepare a 40mM TES buffer with a pH of 7.4. The given MW of TES is 229.25 and its pKa is 7.5. To calculate the necessary amounts of acid and base, the equation pH = pKa + log(A-/HA) is used. The given molar mass refers to the acid. To prepare the buffer, 229.25g/mol * .04moles/liter *.1L = .917g TES is added, and enough strong base is used to convert 44% of the acid to base.
vande060

Homework Statement

prepare 40mM TES buffer pH 7.4
prepare 100mls of it
mw TES = 229.25
pka = 7.5

Homework Equations

ph = pka +log(A-/HA)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't know what the MW of the acid or base is for this buffer. Is the given MW the acid, and I subract a proton weight for the base or something? I can do the calculation though:

7.4 = 7.5 +log(A-/HA)

-.1 = log(A-/HA)

A-/HA = .79

56% base
44% acid

.56* 40mM * MW of base *.1L = moles of base
.44*40mM *MW of acid *.1L = moles of acid

So how should I figure out the MW of acid and base?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TES_(buffer )

Given molar mass refers to the acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TES_(buffer )

Given molar mass refers to the acid.

Thank you,

Ok, that's kind of what I thought. So the acid MW is 229.25, and the base would be (229.25 - 1.008) is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need molar mass of the conjugate base. Use enough acid to prepare 40 mM solution, neutralize it with any strong base.

so I would go:

229.25g/mol * .04moles/liter *.1L = .917g TES added

then to calulate strong base needed to convert 56% of acid to base

.04moles/liter *.1L = .004 moles TES * .56 = .00224 moles of strong base needed

Check your math. If more than half of the acid is converted to base pH is higher than pKa.

But in general you are on the right track.

Borek said:
Check your math. If more than half of the acid is converted to base pH is higher than pKa.

But in general you are on the right track.

whoops it should be 44% converted to base

1. How do I calculate the amount of A- and HA needed to prepare a 40mM TES pH 7.4 solution?

To calculate the amount of A- and HA needed, you will first need to know the desired concentration of the solution and the pKa of TES. Once you have this information, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]). Rearrange the equation to solve for [A-]/[HA], and plug in the values for pH, pKa, and the desired concentration. This will give you the ratio of A- to HA, from which you can then calculate the specific amounts needed.

2. What is the pKa of TES and why is it important?

The pKa of TES is 7.4. This is important because it is the point at which the acid and its conjugate base are present in equal amounts, making the solution a buffer. This means that the pH of the solution will remain relatively stable even with the addition of small amounts of acid or base. Knowing the pKa is crucial for accurately calculating the ratio of A- to HA needed for a specific pH.

3. How do I adjust the pH of the TES solution if it is not at the desired pH of 7.4?

If the TES solution is not at the desired pH of 7.4, you can adjust the pH by adding either acid or base. To lower the pH, add a strong acid such as HCl. To raise the pH, add a strong base such as NaOH. It is important to add small amounts and then measure the pH again to avoid overshooting the desired pH.

4. What is the role of A- and HA in a TES buffer solution?

In a TES buffer solution, A- (the conjugate base of TES) and HA (the acid form of TES) work together to maintain the pH of the solution. A- can accept H+ ions and HA can donate H+ ions, allowing the solution to resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. This is why it is important to have the correct ratio of A- to HA in a buffer solution.

5. Can I use a different buffer instead of TES to prepare a 40mM solution at pH 7.4?

Yes, you can use a different buffer instead of TES to prepare a 40mM solution at pH 7.4. However, the specific amount of A- and HA needed will vary depending on the pKa of the buffer you choose. It is important to use a buffer with a pKa close to the desired pH to ensure its effectiveness as a buffer. You can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the ratio of A- to HA for a different buffer at pH 7.4.