Preparing for Calculus on the GRE Exam

In summary, the speaker discusses their upcoming Mathematics subject GRE and expresses their interest in the type of questions they may encounter. They also inquire about recommended texts for reviewing elementary calculus, specifically looking for a concise and challenging book that focuses on building intuition and includes advanced exercises. They provide a link to the GRE website where a description of the Calculus material for the exam is provided. The material includes calculus-based applications and connections with other branches of mathematics such as coordinate geometry, trigonometry, and differential equations. They express their hope for the exam to include questions that test their geometric intuition and analytical skills. They also express their gratitude for any advice on preparing for the GRE.
jppike
So next fall I will be taking the Mathematics subject GRE, and I've been looking over the website, here is a description of the Calculus which will make up the majority of the examination:

Material learned in the usual sequence of elementary calculus courses — differential and integral calculus of one and of several variables — includes calculus-based applications and connections with coordinate geometry, trigonometry, differential equations and other branches of mathematics.

I was just wondering what type of questions I would be likely to see. Presumably they can't mostly be technical questions, i.e solving a basic ODE or integrating something, as that seems too simple. So there must be a lot of questions designed to test your geometric intuition then? Or perhaps some analytical-based questions, i.e 'on which of the following domains is the given function Riemann integrable?' ? Any advice you could give on preparing for the material on the GRE would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Also, what texts would you recommend for reviewing this elementary calculus? I would certainly not be looking for one of those massive first year calculus books, but rather a concise and difficult book which stresses the building of an intuition on the subject, with exercises that go far beyond "differentiate the following 100 functions".

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
See www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/Math.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Preparing for Calculus on the GRE Exam

1. How can I improve my algebra skills in preparation for Calculus on the GRE Exam?

One way to improve your algebra skills is to practice solving various algebraic equations and problems. You can also review basic algebra concepts such as factoring, exponents, and equations with multiple variables.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in trigonometry for the Calculus portion of the GRE Exam?

While knowledge of trigonometry can be helpful, it is not a requirement for the Calculus portion of the GRE Exam. However, some concepts in Calculus may require a basic understanding of trigonometry, so it is recommended to have some familiarity with the subject.

3. Are there any specific topics or concepts that I should focus on when preparing for Calculus on the GRE Exam?

Some important topics to focus on when preparing for Calculus on the GRE Exam include limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus in real-world situations. It is also important to have a strong understanding of algebra and basic geometry concepts.

4. How much time should I allocate for studying Calculus before taking the GRE Exam?

The amount of time you should allocate for studying Calculus before taking the GRE Exam will vary based on your current knowledge and understanding of the subject. It is recommended to give yourself at least a few weeks to review and practice, but the specific amount of time will depend on your individual needs.

5. Are there any online resources or study materials that you recommend for preparing for Calculus on the GRE Exam?

Yes, there are many online resources and study materials available for preparing for Calculus on the GRE Exam. Some popular options include online practice tests, study guides, and review books specifically designed for the GRE Exam. It is also helpful to utilize any official materials or practice tests provided by the GRE organization.