Preparing for Logic Final: Union of T_n Satisfiable & Not Finitely Axiomatizable

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter moo5003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Final Logic Review
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
moo5003
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
I'm studying for my logic final and I can't seem to find an answer for this practice problem:

(Using < as proper subset since I don't have the right type)

T_1 < T_2 < T_3... be a strictly increasing sequence of satisfiable L-Theories.

a) Show that the union of T_n is satisfiable (over all n in the natural numbers).

b) Show that the union of T_n is not finitely axiomatizable.



A) Pretty simple, every finite subset is satisfiable since the largets T_n is satisfiable thus by compactness their entire union is satisfiable.

B) This is were I have some problems. I'm not sure how to go about showing this. I want to show that any finite amount of sentances can only axiomatize up to T_n and then we can simply show that T_n+1 is not axiomatized. Any ideas on this?

EDIT: I posted this in the wrong forum apparently, if anyone could move it to the logic section I would appreciate it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The midterm is over though I would still like to know how to solve this problem.