Preparing for Physics Olympiad: 17 Year Old from India

• Thread starter ssivark007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Olympiad
In summary, the conversation is about a 17-year-old from India participating in the National Physics Olympiad and seeking advice on how to prepare for it. The person is already looking through past problems and solutions and is asking for additional tips. They also mention that they talk in "MSN talk" but are advised to avoid using abbreviations. The conversation also includes a discussion about the importance of understanding the concepts behind equations rather than just memorizing them.
ssivark007
hi everyone

i'm a 17 year old 4m india, who is taking part in the national phy oymp,
leading to the intl. phy olympiad.
how do i prepare 4 this ?
pl reply soon as i have only a couple of weeks 2 prepare.

Physics news on Phys.org
i thnk I am so kl because i tlk in msn tlk

No idea what you just said.

don't you think it's a bit late to "start"? :)
in this case simply looking through past problems and solutions could help you.

i'm not starting from scratch...
around 200 ppl from the country r selected 4 the 2nd level, thro an exam(level 1). i got the news ofme selection 4 days ago.
i'd just like tips 4 prep. and yeah, i am goin thro past yrs problems and solns.

Plz dun tlk n AIM speech. (My cousin picked up a lot of his english from playing video games online. His english isn't too bad, but he had some teaching in vietnam before he came. Using all of those abbreviations is ok on instant messaging but please try not to use it unless you don't really know the difference from Plz, in that case you should review your english.)

I didnt even know that there was a Physics Olympiad. I'm guessing its like the olympics in physics? I haven't taken high school physics so I wouldn't know. memorizing the equations and the vectors involved is one thing but having a really deep understanding of why those equations are in that form would set you apart

Last edited:
I just happened to look at this post I made about 5 years ago and it's funny seeing how sloppy I was. :-)
Ki Man: Having spent a few years online, I now understand where you're coming from. These days, I find random abbreviations irritating even in IM/sms. :D

Related to Preparing for Physics Olympiad: 17 Year Old from India

1. How should I prepare for the Physics Olympiad as a 17 year old from India?

To prepare for the Physics Olympiad, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic physics concepts and mathematical skills. You can start by studying the syllabus and previous year's question papers to understand the exam pattern. Practice solving problems from various sources, such as textbooks, online resources, and past papers. Additionally, joining a study group or attending coaching classes can also help in your preparation.

2. What are some recommended study materials for the Physics Olympiad?

Some recommended study materials for the Physics Olympiad include popular textbooks like "Concepts of Physics" by HC Verma and "Problems in General Physics" by IE Irodov. Online resources like Khan Academy and Brilliant also offer free study materials and practice problems. It is also useful to refer to previous year's question papers and solutions to get an idea of the exam format.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the Physics Olympiad?

To improve your problem-solving skills for the Physics Olympiad, it is important to practice regularly and try solving problems from various sources. Start with simple problems and gradually move on to more difficult ones. It can also be helpful to discuss problems with classmates or teachers to gain different perspectives and approaches to problem-solving.

4. How can I manage time effectively during the Physics Olympiad?

Time management is crucial during the Physics Olympiad as it is a timed exam with a limited number of questions. It is important to familiarize yourself with the exam pattern and allocate a specific amount of time for each section. During practice sessions, try to solve problems within the allocated time to improve your speed. Additionally, avoid spending too much time on a single question and move on to the next one if you are stuck.

5. Are there any tips for excelling in the practical component of the Physics Olympiad?

The practical component of the Physics Olympiad involves performing experiments and analyzing data. To excel in this component, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the underlying concepts and how they apply to the experiment. Practice performing experiments and analyzing data to become familiar with the process. Additionally, pay attention to details and accurately record your observations and calculations.