Prerequisite Before Learning Set Theory

In summary: Barring that, as g_edgar states, any course where learning proof theory is involved would help - even geometry, but knowing "how" deduction works is critical to all this.
anonymous007
I am in calculus, I was just wondering what math classes (or prerequisites) before trying to learn set theory. For example Should I learn multivariable calculus, linear algebra, etc. (or what)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm finishing up Calc I in my senior year in HS and I've been reading Set Theory, you just need a dedicated mind to understand some of this new stuff lol.

anonymous007 said:
I am in calculus, I was just wondering what math classes (or prerequisites) before trying to learn set theory. For example Should I learn multivariable calculus, linear algebra, etc. (or what)?

There aren't any real prerequisites because it's a fundamental subject, but some "mathematical maturity" is needed to appreciate the relevance of some of the definitions and theorems. Which aspects of the subject are of interest you?

I would just like to get a general overview of the whole subject. I was reading stuff off of the internet and it said that set theory was the basis for many mathematical concepts (am I right or is there more basic theories to study before this?) I would like to get more involved in the math world so I thought that this would be a start. I just don't know where to start in order to get ready for this subject and what I need to study up on before attempting to read material on set theory.

actually (in the long run) I would like to eventually study general topology, so I guess my real question is what mathematical subjects and theories would I need to study before this (is set theory a subject I should learn first, and if so what do I need to study to be able to study set topology)?

Last edited:
Depending on the set theory course, you may need first a course where you learn to write proofs. Or, that may be the emphasis of the set theory course itself. Depends on the course.

bpet said:
but some "mathematical maturity" is needed

Yes, this means you should have arrived at the stage where you no longer bother about if your proofs are correct, because you adopted the mathematicians' attitude to write informal proofs and hope, believe that everything will be fine. With this you are well prepared for standard set theory courses and advanced studies in mathematics.

mathaino said:
Yes, this means you should have arrived at the stage where you no longer bother about if your proofs are correct, because you adopted the mathematicians' attitude to write informal proofs and hope, believe that everything will be fine. With this you are well prepared for standard set theory courses and advanced studies in mathematics.

Mathematicians certainly are not just writing informal proofs and hoping that everything will be fine, and they certainly DO bother to check whether the proofs are correct.

Elementary set theory has been taught to grammar school kids; they called this the "new math" back in the '60s. Now, if you want a formal and more complex treatment of it, where proofs are involved, it doesn't hurt to have a symbolic logic course. Barring that, as g_edgar states, any course where learning proof theory is involved would help - even geometry, but knowing "how" deduction works is critical to all this.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects, called sets. It provides a foundation for other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and geometry.

2. Why is it important to have prerequisites before learning set theory?

Having prerequisites before learning set theory is important because it ensures that students have the necessary knowledge and skills to understand the concepts and applications of set theory. Without these prerequisites, students may struggle to grasp the fundamental concepts and may not be able to apply them correctly.

3. What are some common prerequisites for learning set theory?

Common prerequisites for learning set theory include a strong foundation in basic algebra and geometry, as well as a good understanding of logic and proofs. It is also helpful to have some familiarity with mathematical notation and terminology.

4. Can set theory be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, set theory has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and statistics. It can be used to model and analyze real-world situations, such as the relationships between different groups or categories of data.

5. Is set theory a difficult subject to learn?

The difficulty of learning set theory may vary from person to person, but it is generally considered to be a challenging subject due to its abstract nature and the need for strong mathematical reasoning skills. However, with proper preparation and a solid understanding of the prerequisites, it can be a rewarding and interesting subject to study.