1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prerequisites for Medical Physics M.S?

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    I was originally interested in doing a B.S in Physics then going to grad school for Physics. After a while of stressing over the job outlook I switched to a B.S in Computational Physics and was going to continue on to grad school for physics that way I have programming to fall back on.

I saw that my university had a CAMPEP approved Medical Physics M.S/PhD program which seems interesting. It's spring break so I can't find out much about it yet but if anyone here has experience with the field, I'm wondering if it's OK to go from a Computational Physics B.S to the Medical Physics M.S program? Instead of starting with a normal Physics B.S. The difference is mainly that the Computational Physics B.S would only have for example one course in Intermediate Mechanics, E&M, and Quantum Mechanics instead of two of each. It also lacks 2 or 3 additional Physics electives that the Physics B.S has. In place of those are Computer Science(4-5 courses) and either 2 courses in Computational Physics or Numerical Analysis.

I'm confused because it seems to me that it would require a decent amount of Chemistry and Biology but the undergraduate programs include at most two Chemistry courses and no Biology. (Physics B.S has two Chemistry courses but Computational Physics B.S has none)

Basically, is a Computational Physics B.S all right for transitioning into Medical Physics? And also should I be taking more Chemistry?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Each medical physics program has it's own unique entrance requirements, but generally speaking you should be fine with a "computational physics" background.

You don't "need" to have taken a biology course, but I think doing at least first year biology can be a substantial help in understanding basic radiobiology. Similar with chemistry. You might want to try squeezing that second E&M course in too, but there are a lot of courses that can help you tool A lot of your computational physics courses could in fact be invaluable, depending on the projects that you take on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook