1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure as a renewable source of energy

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    I am designing a machine to produce electricity , using pressure as a source of energy.
    So my question is simple, is there any machine or device that are used to produce electricity from pressure?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2
    Yes, google piezoelectrics.

4. Sep 26, 2013 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Note that anything that leaves the pressure unchanged will not produce electricity.

5. Sep 26, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Central station steam plants use lots of pressure to make electricity, though not directly of course.

6. Sep 26, 2013 #5
    I know about piezoelectrics , they are not considered as power generators though, i am talking about a generator , to generate electricity on a bigger scale, like solar or wind

7. Sep 26, 2013 #6
    doesn't a steam plant need a source of energy to produce steam ?

8. Sep 26, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They sure do. But pressure doesn't exist by itself, in a vacuum, so to speak.

9. Sep 26, 2013 #8
    Pressure by itself cannot be used to power anything. For that you need 2 regions of different pressure.

10. Sep 26, 2013 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hydroelectric dams (usually) also utilize the pressure energy of pressurized water to produce energy. Are we detecting a pattern yet?

11. Sep 26, 2013 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And something flowing between them.

12. Sep 26, 2013 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's like saying, I'm gonna use me some high temperature to make an electric generator.

13. Sep 27, 2013 #12
    Ok , thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook