1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in a certain tank is 55.8 Pa

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    I am trying to figure if there is anything wrong with this statement.

The pressure in a certain tank is 55.8 Pa (abs)

55.8 Pa is about .008 Psi...and the gage pressure would be -100.9 kpa....

......I wouldnt think this condition would be possible

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: pressure

Depends on the tank, it means it is under (partial) vacuum.
    So ok for a vacuum brake system on a truck - unlikely for a water tank in a house.

I would check they meant abs rather than gauge and they hadn't missed a prefix on the Pa.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3

The questions are supposed to be answered True or False stating why its false...or how it could be true....and it states the pressure in Pa (abs)....but i did notice one thing I missed....its -55.8 Pa (abs)....so this pressure would be below a perfect vaccumm which doesnt seem possible to me....

At zero pressure using absolute pressure you have a perfect vacuum....so can you go below that?

and the next question says a certain tank has a pressure of -4.65 psig. giving you a absolute pressure of 9.95psi...which I would think would be more of a possiblitly

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. Jan 19, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't have -55.8Pa abs, that's less than nothing = silly.
    -4.65psig = 9.95psi (abs) is true (give or take the odd least sig figure)

6. Jan 19, 2009 #5

Yea thats what i figured for the 55.8 Pa when I noticed the negative sign.....and it would be the same if you had -150 kpa gage which would be -48.9Kpa absolute.....which would = silly again....

7. Jan 19, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gauge could be -150 kpa if it was between two tanks.
    So one tank with 1000 kPa and another with 850kPa you could have a gauge reading of -150kPa but the question would have to make that clear.

8. Jan 19, 2009 #7

Yea that makes sense...but the question states that its the pressure of one tank...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?