Pressure in Liquids and Pascal's Principle?

In summary, Pascal's Principle states that a change in pressure at any point in an enclosed fluid at rest is transmitted undiminished to all points in the fluid. This means that in liquids, pressure acts in all directions and not just in the direction of the applied force. This can be seen by observing the equal pressure exerted on all surfaces of a closed container filled with water. This principle also explains the increased pressure felt at the bottom of a pool or ocean due to the weight of the water above. Despite the confusion in visualizing this principle, there is no need for a force balance in the horizontal direction for equilibrium to be maintained.
eddywalrus
Okay, so Pascal's Principle (as copied from Wikipedia):

A change in pressure at any point in an enclosed fluid at rest is transmitted undiminished to all points in the fluid.

From what I've gathered, this means that pressure in liquids act in all directions, so if you press a closed container filled with water, then the pressure will spread and act in all directions. However, how does this work? If you press down on it with a downwards force, then won't the pressure act downwards instead of in all directions?

In still water, for example, in the ocean, the weight (gravity) of the water is also a "downwards" which means that the pressure is exerted downwards and not in all directions?

I've tried visualizing this using particles, but it doesn't really make sense- if you press downwards then the particles are moving downwards which collides with other particles and makes them move downwards, so in the end there's only pressure on the bottom of the container and not on the sides of the container?

I'm really confused now. :(

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
eddywalrus said:
Okay, so Pascal's Principle (as copied from Wikipedia):

A change in pressure at any point in an enclosed fluid at rest is transmitted undiminished to all points in the fluid.

From what I've gathered, this means that pressure in liquids act in all directions, so if you press a closed container filled with water, then the pressure will spread and act in all directions. However, how does this work? If you press down on it with a downwards force, then won't the pressure act downwards instead of in all directions?

In still water, for example, in the ocean, the weight (gravity) of the water is also a "downwards" which means that the pressure is exerted downwards and not in all directions?

I've tried visualizing this using particles, but it doesn't really make sense- if you press downwards then the particles are moving downwards which collides with other particles and makes them move downwards, so in the end there's only pressure on the bottom of the container and not on the sides of the container?

I'm really confused now. :(

Thanks in advance for your help.

The force per unit area on the vertical walls of the container, or on vertical surfaces at the bottom of the ocean is the same as the force per unit area on a horizontal surface, such as the bottom of the container, or the ocean floor. The pressure of the overlying weight is transmitted equally in all directions. Did you ever swim to the bottom of a pool at the deep end and feel the increased pressure on your ear drums?

I get the feeling that you think some kind of force balance has to apply to the horizontal direction in order for the pressure to be high in that direction. But, if you do a free body diagram on a cube of water at depth, there is nothing that says that the horizontal forces on the cube can't be high, while at the same time preserving equilibrium.

1. What is pressure in liquids?

Pressure in liquids is a measure of the force per unit area that a liquid exerts on its surroundings. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm).

2. How is pressure in liquids different from pressure in gases?

Pressure in liquids is different from pressure in gases because liquids are incompressible, meaning that their volume does not change significantly when pressure is applied. In contrast, gases are highly compressible and their volume can change significantly with changes in pressure.

3. What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that a change in pressure at any point in a confined fluid is transmitted equally and undiminished throughout the fluid. This principle is the basis for many hydraulic systems.

4. How does Pascal's Principle relate to pressure in liquids?

Pascal's Principle explains how pressure in liquids is transmitted equally and undiminished throughout the liquid. This means that an increase in pressure at one point in a liquid will result in an equal increase in pressure at all other points within the liquid.

5. What are some real-world applications of Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle is used in many real-world applications, including hydraulic systems such as car brakes, cranes, and lifts. It is also used in medical devices such as blood pressure cuffs and hydraulic presses used in manufacturing. Additionally, Pascal's Principle is used in scuba diving to explain how pressure increases with depth in a body of water.