Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure losses in electric air heater

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    I have an electric air heater with a pressure loss of 3kPa (according to manufacturer at the flow rate and temperature I will be using). Air is supplied to the heater using a centrifugal fan with a static pressure of 8.7kPa (gauge) and a flow rate of 88m3/hr, giving a dynamic pressure of around 95Pa.

My question is; will this loss of 3kPa be static, dynamic or a bit of both? I would like to calculate the outlet velocity after passing through the heater (using bernoulli equation) and I having difficulty without knowing what pressure to deduct the 3kPa from.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2
    It's the static pressure.

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3
    How would this effect the mass flow rate leaving the heater? I was under the impression the 3kPa loss would result in some loss in mass flow (i.e. cannot assume mass flow rate across heater is constant). I have a means of measuring the heater inlet velocity but not outlet (especially when it is at operating temperature) so would like get at at least a general idea of the outlet velocity.

Ignoring the heating effects, i.e. running flow through heater when off:
    Pstatic in =108.7kPa, Pstatic out=105.7kPa therefore Pstatic in-Pstatic out=3kPa
    rho in = rho out =1.225kg/m3 (assumption made for simplicity)
    velocity in = 12m/s

Using Bernoulli eqn.
    velocity out=SQRT(velocity in^2+2(Pstatic in-Pstatic out)/rho)

After subbing in values I get, velocity out=71m/s....This seems really high, can you see any error in this logic?

This value will also only increase when I add the effect of the temperature rise on the air density.

Thanks

5. Jul 13, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The volumetric flow rate across a heater changes because the air expands when heated. The mass flow rate stays the same because there is nowhere else for the mass to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted