Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure vessel test chamber problem

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    I have to design a chamber where a range of small pressure vessels can be safely pressure tested. They range up to around 10 litres in capacity and are tested at 45 barg. The vessel is a thick wall tube with two domed end caps welded construction. I would like some guidance on how to calculate the effect of a catastrophic failure should an end cap weld fail. What would the impact force be on the containment wall. The container is to be a box form with an opening door. I need to establish the wall strength required. I considered that this would be the worst case scenario as leaks would not not eject material. The vessel is to be held in a fixture during the pressure test. The test will use compressed air only. The distance to the container wall is likely to be around 300mm or less. I would appreciate some not too complicated formulas or guidance.

I have been involved in pressure vessel design in the past and can do some basic stress calcs.

David

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    If you know the force pushing on the end cap and the mass of it.You should be able to use the conservation of momentum and F=ma to calculate the force on the containment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook