Prevent Latex from Including the Location of Every Citation

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, I'm using Zotero to export my Bibtex file (references.bib), and including it with:\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\bibsecname}\renewcommand{\bibname}{\bibsecname}\bibliographystyle{plain}\bibliography{references}However, every time I cite a reference, the References section includes a chapter location (e.g. 1.1, 1.3, 3.1) every time. I've tried changing bibliography styles within the same template, and the problem remains.
teroenza
I'm using Zotero to export my Bibtex file (references.bib), and including it with:
Code:
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\bibsecname}
\renewcommand{\bibname}{\bibsecname}
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{references}

For some reason, in the final References section, it is including a chapter location (e.g. 1.1, 1.3, 3.1) every time I cite that reference.For example:
Miguel A. Cazalilla and Ana Maria Rey. Ultracold Fermi gases with emergent
SU( N ) symmetry. Reports on Progress in Physics, 77(12):124401, 2014. 1.1, 1.3,

How can I suppress this, and get rid of that list of instances the reference is cited?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is defined by the thesis template that I'm using, not Zotero. I've tried changing bibliography styles within the same template, and the problem remains. Using Zotero and bibtex with other templates dies not display the issue. Tried looking at the thesis style in a text editor, but nothing jumped out at me indicating the cause.

This is the the template I'm using.

http://www.ece.rice.edu/~gbmidd/resources.php

teroenza said:
I think it is defined by the thesis template that I'm using, not Zotero.

Yeah, there's something funny going on with that. The PDF example of the thesis shows this for the printed reference:

[1] A. van Zelst and T. C. W. Schenk, “Some paper of great meaning,” IEEE Journal of Great Work, vol. 52, 2004. 1.2​

But the Bibtex file has nothing with "1.2" in it for that entry, just volume 52 issue 2; and so for IEEE style, that reference should not include "1.2" and should include the issue number; i.e. it should look like this:

[1] A. van Zelst and T. C. W. Schenk, “Some Paper of Great Meaning,” IEEE Journal of Great Work, vol. 52, no. 2, 2004.​

So whatever is happening it's pretty strange & likely the problem is somewhere in the package files - class file, template file, etc. It's been a long time since I did much LaTeX. So I would suggest either contacting the package author - he mentions he will try & help with any issues if contacted; or else posting on a LaTeX forum, preferably one where you can upload the package files.

Last edited:
teroenza said:
For some reason, in the final References section, it is including a chapter location (e.g. 1.1, 1.3, 3.1) every time I cite that reference.For example:
Miguel A. Cazalilla and Ana Maria Rey. Ultracold Fermi gases with emergent
SU( N ) symmetry. Reports on Progress in Physics, 77(12):124401, 2014. 1.1, 1.3,
3.1​

I'm still curious about this problem. I had thought you meant that "1.1, 1.3, 3.1" were chapter locations in the publication. But now from re-reading your thread title, I guess what you mean is, they are locations within your paper.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think it's in the package files too. I'm going to dig through the assorted files in the folder while I wait to see if the author responds.

teroenza said:
Thanks. I think it's in the package files too. I'm going to dig through the assorted files in the folder while I wait to see if the author responds.

So again, you must have already known this; but I just realized what the extra numbers are: they are links back to the sections in which you put the footnotes, e.g. [1], [2], etc. That would explain the "1.2" in the template example PDF. So what you would look for is code that causes these backward links. They are hyperlinks, too, by the way - or at least they are in the example template. This ought to make it easy to Google for this sort of behavior in LaTeX and thus find the relevant code.

Last edited:
teroenza said:
I think it's in the package files too.

Hey, @teroenza , I found it. Locate the class file "Ricethesis_PDF.cls". Find line 29 - it should read "backref," one of many packages listed after a "\usepackage" command up on line 22. Comment "backref" out with a percent sign, so it reads "%backref". Then run the PDF compile again. When I did this the extra numbers after the cites went away.

Here is the "backref" package documentation: http://texdoc.net/texmf-dist/doc/latex/hyperref/backref.pdf

A similar command, "pagebackref," is explained on this page: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Hyperlinks

Interestingly, although you may still want to remove these, you could also consider leaving them; after all, they are functional; and moreover, anyone accustomed to reviewing LaTeX-generated papers would likely understand the purpose & even welcome it (when reading a PDF on a computer, makes it easy to click on a footnote; read the cite; then click the appropriate number after the cite to return to where they left off in the paper).

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I was wanting to remove them because they seemed to be cluttering the references page. I might just add a note about them, and keep them in place since you're right, they could be useful.

1. How can I prevent LaTeX from including the location of every citation?

To prevent LaTeX from including the location of every citation, you can use the natbib package and specify the citation style as authoryear or authoryear-comp. This will only include the year of publication in the citation, rather than the location as well.

2. Can I remove the location from individual citations?

Yes, you can remove the location from individual citations by using the \citeyear command instead of the \cite command. This will only include the year of publication in the citation.

3. How can I change the citation style to exclude the location?

You can change the citation style to exclude the location by using the \bibliographystyle command and specifying a style such as apalike or chicago. These styles do not include the location in the citation.

4. Is it possible to include the location for certain citations but not others?

Yes, it is possible to include the location for certain citations but not others. You can use the \citep command instead of the \cite command when you want to include the location in the citation. Alternatively, you can manually add the location information within the citation using the \cite command.

5. How can I customize the citation style to include or exclude the location?

You can customize the citation style to include or exclude the location by using the \bibliographystyle command and specifying a style that includes the location, such as plainnat. You can also use the natbib package and its various options to customize the citation style. Consult the package documentation for more information.