How many times will you bring drinks to a home game in a 20 game season?

In summary, for a 20 game season where drinks are brought every 6 games and every 3rd game is a home game, the total number of home games is 6 and the number of times drinks will be brought to a home game is 3. This can be determined by dividing 20 by 3 to get 6, and then dividing 6 by 2 to get 3. There is no need to use factorization to solve this problem.
shawonna23

Homework Statement

You bring the drinks for your soccer team every sixth game. Every third game is a home game. How many times will you bring the drinks to a home game if you have a 20 game season?

Homework Equations

i did the problem in my head, but I need to show my work to get the problem correct. I don't know how i would use factorization to solve this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

3 games

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're right.

Here's how I came up with that.

You've got 20 total games.

Every third game is a home game - that doesn't divide evenly into 20 and since you can't have a half of a game or a third of a game (unless this is some weird version of soccer), then that leaves us with 6 true home games, right? [The closest whole number of 20/3 is 18. 20/3 = 18 2/3 so ~ 18 full games.]

Since you have to bring drinks every six games, then you have to bring drinks 3 times.

Let's draw a chart:

Game # ; Home / Away?; Drinks Y/N?

1; A; N
2; A; N
3; H; N
4; A; N
5; A; N
6; H; Y
7; A; N
8; A; N
9; H; N
10; A; N
11; A; N
12; H; Y
13; A; N
14; A; N
15; H; N
16; A; N
17; A; N
18; H; Y
19; A; N
20; A; N

So yeah, 3 times.

I don't know why I wrote that all out, since I don't have a good explanation as to why it is so...

Blind leading the blind. Good luck!

Hey there,
What learned from LearningMaths chart is that you bring drinks every 6th game isn't it and every 3rd game is a home game.
.: total no. of home game=20/3=6(We won't consider the decimal part )
so you see,
6 games ,No. of drinks given=1
ie. Every 2 home game ,No. of drinks given=1
.: Every 1 home game ,No. of drinks given=1/2
.: Every 6 home game ,No. of drinks given=1/2*6=3

I think you get my point. But I don't know where the question of prime factorisation rises!:confused:
I wish i could have been of some help!

FAQ: How many times will you bring drinks to a home game in a 20 game season?

What is the Prime Factorization Problem 4?

The Prime Factorization Problem 4 is a mathematical problem that involves finding the prime factors of a given number. In this specific problem, the number is 4 and the prime factors are 2 and 2.

Why is prime factorization important?

Prime factorization is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of a number. It also allows us to simplify fractions, find the greatest common factor, and solve various mathematical problems.

What is the process for finding the prime factorization of a number?

The process for finding the prime factorization of a number involves breaking down the number into its prime factors. This is done by dividing the number by its smallest prime factor, and then dividing the resulting quotient by its smallest prime factor, and so on until the quotient is 1.

What is the difference between prime factorization and prime numbers?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, while prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and itself. Prime factorization can be used to determine whether a number is prime or composite, but the two concepts are not interchangeable.

How can prime factorization be used to solve real-world problems?

Prime factorization can be used to solve real-world problems involving fractions, ratios, and proportions. It can also be used in cryptography, computer algorithms, and the study of prime numbers.

Back