Product of the first n primes and add 1

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a prime number by taking the product of the first n primes and adding 1. It is suggested that this pattern may eventually break down, but others argue that it is a reliable method and can be proven using mathematical induction. It is also mentioned that Euclid's proof of infinite primes rests on the assumption that all primes are multiplied together, not just the first n primes. This leads to a discussion on the differences between mathematical and empirical induction and how they relate to proving theories.
ooellis
I was discussing something with my friends today. If you take the product of the first n primes and add 1 will this give you a prime number?

For instance:

2*3 +1 = 7 ------> prime
2*3*5 +1 = 31 -------> prime
2*3*5*7 + 1 = 2311 ------> prime

Can anybody find if/where this breaks down and why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ooellis said:
I was discussing something with my friends today. If you take the product of the first n primes and add 1 will this give you a prime number?

For instance:

2*3 +1 = 7 ------> prime
2*3*5 +1 = 31 -------> prime
2*3*5*7 + 1 = 2311 ------> prime

Can anybody find if/where this breaks down and why?
I don't believe this pattern will break down. When you multiply the prime number by the next prime number, it is obvious the product is divisible by the (prime) number you just multiplied it by. However, when you add 1 to the product, this removes any possibility of dividing the sum by the factors that went into it.

Yes but what about the primes that are larger than the primes that went into it but still smaller than number in question. I know 2311 is prime, but there are still many primes larger than 7 but less than 2311. Maybe eventually there is somewhere that it breaks down, then again maybe it won't...

I don't think it breaks down either, that is used in the theorem in finding that there are infinite amount of primes. So they must have proved that at some time too (though I couldn't find it). I've been interested in this also, since I noticed it.

ooellis said:
Yes but what about the primes that are larger than the primes that went into it but still smaller than number in question. I know 2311 is prime, but there are still many primes larger than 7 but less than 2311. Maybe eventually there is somewhere that it breaks down, then again maybe it won't...

That is very true, and we obviously do not know whether or not it will 'break down' somewhere.

There are two types of proofs, a mathematical induction, and an empirical induction. An empirical induction is usually just going through many cases of the theory and testing it to see if it is true. The more times the theory holds up, the greater its chance of being a correct theory, but can never be proven, since you cannot go through an infinite set of numbers. However, mathematical induction is a process by which a theory is proven to be true for all values, without having to go through an impossible set of data to prove the theory. Such an induction may be possible for your prime number theory, but I am too tired tonight to attempt it. ;)

from
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/creative/teebee/no-largest-prime.php
"2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13.
2 x 3 x 5 x 7 x 11 x 13 = 30030.
Add 1, you get 30031.
But 30031 = 59 x 509, so it's not prime.
The procedure doesn't always generate primes."

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call Lurflurf.

Thanks

If you take the product of the first n primes and add 1, then it gives you a number that's not divisible by any of the first n primes. It's not necessarily a prime itself (though it could be), but it is an interesting number in its own right.

This is concisely explained by modular arithmetic, i.e. [tex]p_{1}p_{2}p_{3}...p_{n} + 1 \equiv 1 \pmod{p_{k}}[/tex] with k a natural less than or equal to n.

Now here's an exercise for you: prove that there's an infinite number of primes.

ktm said:
If you take the product of the first n primes and add 1, then it gives you a number that's not divisible by any of the first n primes.

Now here's an exercise for you: prove that there's an infinite number of primes.

Euclid did it in Book 9, Proposition 20 - but it is often stated slightly wrongly as in the original post. Multiplying the first n primes and adding 1 gives EITHER a new prime OR a composite number having a prime factor not in the original list. This proves that the number of primes is infinite.

Last edited:
If it can produce either a prime or a composite, how do you know which one you found? And if you found a composite number wouldn't that make the proof meaningless? I don't get it :(

Euclid's proof assumes that you're taking the product of ALL the primes then adding one. Since clearly any number of the form p_1 * p_2 * ... * p_n + 1 isn't going to be divisible by any of the primes p_1, ..., p_n, we must conclude that its prime factors are different from those n ones (and being an integer greater than 1, it does have prime factors), hence there must be a prime not in the set {p_1, ..., p_n}.

Oh I see, I suppose I should have thought about that a little more. Thanks.

Aeneas said:
Euclid did it in Book 9, Proposition 20 - but it is often stated slightly wrongly as in the original post. Multiplying the first n primes and adding 1 gives EITHER a new prime OR a composite number having a prime factor not in the original list. This proves that the number of primes is infinite.

1. I did not state it incorrectly. What I said has many implications, which I did not mention, so that he could figure it out for himself.
2. If I suggested that he figure out the proof of infinite primes for himself, why would you post a proof of it?
3. "slightly wrongly"?

ktm said:
1. I did not state it incorrectly. What I said has many implications, which I did not mention, so that he could figure it out for himself.
2. If I suggested that he figure out the proof of infinite primes for himself, why would you post a proof of it?
3. "slightly wrongly"?

Sorry KTM. By 'original posts' (I missed off the 's') I meant the ones at the start of the thread, not yours. The point I was trying to make is that it is a common misconception that Euclid's proof rests on multiplying together any 'assigned multitude of prime numbers' (Heath) and adding one to necessarily get a new prime. It is 'slighly wrong' in that you only have to add '..or number with a new prime factor' to make it right. Euclid actually starts by imagining three known primes and showing that there are more than that, so it is in effect a proof of the infinity of primes by induction.

lurflurf said:
from
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/creative/teebee/no-largest-prime.php
"2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13.
2 x 3 x 5 x 7 x 11 x 13 = 30030.
Add 1, you get 30031.
But 30031 = 59 x 509, so it's not prime.
The procedure doesn't always generate primes."

Yep. It only works for 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 31, 379, 1019, ... = http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A005234 .

Last edited by a moderator:
IamNameless said:
If it can produce either a prime or a composite, how do you know which one you found? And if you found a composite number wouldn't that make the proof meaningless? I don't get it :(

This is very simple

We wish to show there are an infinite number of primes
it is sufficent to show that given any finite collection of primes we may find one new one
say we know p1,p2,...,pn-1,pn
consider x=1+p1*p2*...*pn-1*pn
x may be prime or composite we do not care
what is important is that x has at least one prime factor that is not one of
p1,p2,...,pn-1,pn

What is the "Product of the first n primes and add 1"?

The "Product of the first n primes and add 1" is a mathematical formula that involves multiplying the first n prime numbers and then adding 1 to the result. It is denoted by P(n) = (2*3*5*...*pn) + 1, where pn is the nth prime number.

What are the first few values of P(n)?

The first few values of P(n) are: P(1) = 3, P(2) = 7, P(3) = 31, P(4) = 211, P(5) = 2311, P(6) = 30031, P(7) = 510511, and so on.

What is the significance of P(n)?

P(n) is significant because it is a prime number itself for the first few values of n. This property is known as the Primorial Prime Property. It is also used in some prime-generating formulas and has applications in number theory and cryptography.

Is there a pattern or formula to find P(n)?

Yes, there is a formula to find P(n). It is given by P(n) = 22n - 1. This formula is known as the Euclid-Euler primorial formula and it gives the nth primorial prime number for any value of n.

Are there any known limitations or exceptions to P(n)?

Yes, there are some limitations and exceptions to P(n). For example, P(n) is not always a prime number for all values of n. There are some values of n (such as 23) for which P(n) is not a prime number. This is known as the primorial prime exception. Additionally, as n increases, P(n) becomes increasingly difficult to calculate accurately due to its large size.