Using Induction to Prove 2^n >= n+1 for Natural Numbers

In summary, by using mathematical induction and the fact that 2k+2 > k+2 for any positive integer k, we can prove that 2^n >= n+1 for all natural numbers n.
roam
1. Homework Statement

Prove that for each [tex]n \in N[/tex] (aka natural numbers), [tex]2^n \geq n+1[/tex]

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Let the proposition P(n) be "[tex]2^n \geq n+1[/tex]"

Clearly P(n) is true for n=1, [tex]2^1 \geq 1+1[/tex].

We suppose P(k) is true, i.e., supposing that [tex]2^k \geq k+1[/tex] is true, then,

[tex]2^{k+1} \geq (k+1)+1[/tex]

I think it can then be rewritten as [tex]2.2^{k} \geq 2.(k+1)[/tex]. Does anyone know the next step? I'm not sure what to do from here...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
well, your induction hypothesis is:

[tex]2^k\geq k+1[/tex]

now

[tex]2^{k+1}=2*2^k\geq 2(k+1)=2k+2>(k+1)+1[/tex]

roam said:
1. Homework Statement

Prove that for each [tex]n \in N[/tex] (aka natural numbers), [tex]2^n \geq n+1[/tex]

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Let the proposition P(n) be "[tex]2^n \geq n+1[/tex]"

Clearly P(n) is true for n=1, [tex]2^1 \geq 1+1[/tex].

We suppose P(k) is true, i.e., supposing that [tex]2^k \geq k+1[/tex] is true, then,

[tex]2^{k+1} \geq (k+1)+1[/tex]
Omit the line above, since that's where you want to end up. Just say:
suppose P(k) is true, i.e., that [tex]2^k \geq k+1[/tex]
Keep it in the back of your mind where you want to go, but work toward that goal.
roam said:
I think it can then be rewritten as [tex]2.2^{k} \geq 2.(k+1)[/tex]. Does anyone know the next step? I'm not sure what to do from here...
So you have 2k + 1 = 2 * 2k >= 2 * (k + 1) = 2k + 2

How does that last expression compare with k + 2? (I.e., (k + 1) + 1)

Mark44 said:
Omit the line above, since that's where you want to end up. Just say:
suppose P(k) is true, i.e., that [tex]2^k \geq k+1[/tex]
Keep it in the back of your mind where you want to go, but work toward that goal.

So you have 2k + 1 = 2 * 2k >= 2 * (k + 1) = 2k + 2

How does that last expression compare with k + 2? (I.e., (k + 1) + 1)

So, it is [tex]2^{k+1} = 2.2^k \geq 2.(k+1)[/tex]

[tex]2(k+1) = (k+1)+(k+1) \geq (k+1)+1[/tex]

I'm a little confused, how should we make the conclusion?
Since (k+1)+1 is supposed to be less than or equal to [tex]2^{k+1} (= 2.2^k)[/tex], and now we know it is less than or equal to 2.(k+1). Therefore...

Last edited:
roam said:
So, it is [tex]2^{k+1} = 2.2^k \geq 2.(k+1)[/tex]

[tex]2(k+1) = (k+1)+(k+1) \geq (k+1)+1[/tex]
No, "(k+1)+(k+1)" is not the point. As Mark44 said before, 2(k+1)= 2k+ 2. Now, since k is a positive integer, it is certainly true that 2k> k (you might want to do another induction to prove that formally) so 2k+ 2> k+ 2= (k+1)+ 1.

I'm a little confused, how should we make the conclusion?
Since (k+1)+1 is supposed to be less than or equal to [tex]2^{k+1} (= 2.2^k)[/tex], and now we know it is less than or equal to 2.(k+1). Therefore...

What is the Principle of Induction?

The Principle of Induction is a method of reasoning that is used to make predictions or draw conclusions based on observations or past experiences. It states that if something is true for every instance in a particular set, then it is likely to be true for all instances in that set.

How is the Principle of Induction different from the Scientific Method?

The Scientific Method is a systematic approach to conducting scientific experiments and investigations, while the Principle of Induction is a logical reasoning method used to make predictions based on observations. The two are often used in conjunction with each other in the scientific process.

Can the Principle of Induction be used to prove absolute truths?

No, the Principle of Induction can only be used to make probable predictions based on past observations. It does not provide absolute proof of a statement or theory.

What is the role of falsifiability in the Principle of Induction?

Falsifiability is the idea that a scientific statement or theory must be able to be proven false through observation or experimentation in order to be considered valid. The Principle of Induction takes this into account by using past observations to make predictions that can be tested and potentially falsified.

How is the Principle of Induction used in everyday life?

The Principle of Induction is used in various ways in everyday life, such as making predictions based on past experiences or observations, formulating hypotheses, and generalizing from specific instances to a larger population. It is also commonly used in fields such as economics and market research to make predictions about future trends and behaviors.