1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob and stat expected value of x

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The distribution function of a random variable X is given by

F(x) = {
    0 if x < -3
    3/8 if -3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 0
    1/2 if 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 3
    3/4 if 3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 4
    1 if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 4

Calculate E(X), E(X[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 2|X|), E(X|X|).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I actually have no idea how to start this. None of the chapter examples seem to give me a clue on what to do. I have calcuated E(X) for probability mass function equations, but not distributive functions like the above. Can someone give me a strong hint on how to approach this for E(X) and I can take it from there? Thank you for any help.

And sorry for the formatting, I could not get it to look right in latex, but I think it should be understandable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Well, what is the definition of E(X)? Further on, what is the relation between F(X) and f(x) (i.e. the probability density function f of the random variable X)?

4. Jan 2, 2009 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Okay, another hint. Since you need to find f(x) to calculate E(X), is there a way to calculate f(x) from F(x)? [Hint 2: f(xi) = F(xi) - F(xi-), where F(xi-) is the left limit of F when x --> xi form the left.]

5. Jan 2, 2009 #4
    Well, E(X) is the expected value of X. E(X) = [tex]\sumxp(x)[/tex] where p(x) is the probability mass function. My main issue with the problem is that I am confused by the lack of an equation...

okay, so I started typing that and now I am wondering if it is as simple as this:
    -3 * 3/8 + 0 * 1/8 + 3 * 2/8 + 4 * 2/8 = 5/8

I only looked at the numbers where it jumped on a graph and I looked at actual chances of each happening. In other words I subtracted f(x2) - f(x1) to get the chances of f(x2). I know the answer is 5/8, am I doing this correct or did I just get a coincidentally equal number?

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, my result is 5/8 too. So, the random variable is given with [tex]X = \[ \left( \begin{array}{cccc}-3 & 0 & 3 & 4 \\ 3/8 & 1/8 & 1/4 & 1/4 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]. If you "calculate" F(x) from X, you'll get your given function F.

7. Jan 2, 2009 #6
    so then what I really mean to say would be:
    -3 * (3/8 - 0) + 0 * (1/2 - 3/8) + 3 * (3/4 - 1/2) + 4 * (1 - 3/4) = 5/8

technically the same thing, but clearer in showing what I was doing

and for E(X - 2|X|) would I then plug in -3 and replace the -3 above with the solution? such as (-3[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 2|-3|) = 3
    so the equation above would start as 3 * (3/8 - 0) + ... ?
    *edit*dropped the square, fixed now

8. Jan 2, 2009 #7
    answered my own question by working it out to find that I got the correct answer. Thanks for the hints radou, it is making sense now!

9. Jan 2, 2009 #8

radou

Homework Helper

No problemo! It's nice to hear when someone works the answers out alone. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?