Prob and stat expected value of x

In summary, the homework statement is that the distribution function of a random variable X is given by {0,3/8,1/2,3/4,1} . E(X) is the expected value of X, and the relation between F(X) and f(x) is given by f(x) = F(x) - F(xi-), where F(xi-) is the left limit of F when x --> xi form the left.
Proggy99

Homework Statement

The distribution function of a random variable X is given by

F(x) = {
0 if x < -3
3/8 if -3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 0
1/2 if 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 3
3/4 if 3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 4
1 if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 4

Calculate E(X), E(X[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 2|X|), E(X|X|).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have no idea how to start this. None of the chapter examples seem to give me a clue on what to do. I have calcuated E(X) for probability mass function equations, but not distributive functions like the above. Can someone give me a strong hint on how to approach this for E(X) and I can take it from there? Thank you for any help.

And sorry for the formatting, I could not get it to look right in latex, but I think it should be understandable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what is the definition of E(X)? Further on, what is the relation between F(X) and f(x) (i.e. the probability density function f of the random variable X)?

Okay, another hint. Since you need to find f(x) to calculate E(X), is there a way to calculate f(x) from F(x)? [Hint 2: f(xi) = F(xi) - F(xi-), where F(xi-) is the left limit of F when x --> xi form the left.]

radou said:
Well, what is the definition of E(X)? Further on, what is the relation between F(X) and f(x) (i.e. the probability density function f of the random variable X)?

Well, E(X) is the expected value of X. E(X) = [tex]\sumxp(x)[/tex] where p(x) is the probability mass function. My main issue with the problem is that I am confused by the lack of an equation...

okay, so I started typing that and now I am wondering if it is as simple as this:
-3 * 3/8 + 0 * 1/8 + 3 * 2/8 + 4 * 2/8 = 5/8

I only looked at the numbers where it jumped on a graph and I looked at actual chances of each happening. In other words I subtracted f(x2) - f(x1) to get the chances of f(x2). I know the answer is 5/8, am I doing this correct or did I just get a coincidentally equal number?

Yes, my result is 5/8 too. So, the random variable is given with [tex]X = \[ \left( \begin{array}{cccc}-3 & 0 & 3 & 4 \\ 3/8 & 1/8 & 1/4 & 1/4 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]. If you "calculate" F(x) from X, you'll get your given function F.

radou said:
Okay, another hint. Since you need to find f(x) to calculate E(X), is there a way to calculate f(x) from F(x)? [Hint 2: f(xi) = F(xi) - F(xi-), where F(xi-) is the left limit of F when x --> xi form the left.]

so then what I really mean to say would be:
-3 * (3/8 - 0) + 0 * (1/2 - 3/8) + 3 * (3/4 - 1/2) + 4 * (1 - 3/4) = 5/8

technically the same thing, but clearer in showing what I was doing

and for E(X - 2|X|) would I then plug in -3 and replace the -3 above with the solution? such as (-3[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 2|-3|) = 3
so the equation above would start as 3 * (3/8 - 0) + ... ?
*edit*dropped the square, fixed now

answered my own question by working it out to find that I got the correct answer. Thanks for the hints radou, it is making sense now!

Proggy99 said:
answered my own question by working it out to find that I got the correct answer. Thanks for the hints radou, it is making sense now!

No problemo! It's nice to hear when someone works the answers out alone. :wink:

What is the expected value of x in probability and statistics?

The expected value of x in probability and statistics is also known as the mean or average. It represents the average value that would be expected if an experiment was repeated multiple times. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then summing up all of these values.

How is the expected value of x used in probability and statistics?

The expected value of x is used as a measure of central tendency or the center of the probability distribution. It can be used to make predictions about future outcomes or to compare different data sets. It is also used in other statistical calculations such as variance and standard deviation.

What is the difference between expected value and actual value in probability and statistics?

The expected value of x is a theoretical value that represents the average outcome, while the actual value is the observed outcome of an experiment or event. The actual value may or may not be the same as the expected value, as it is subject to random variation.

How is the expected value of x affected by different probability distributions?

The expected value of x can vary depending on the type of probability distribution being used. For example, in a normal distribution, the expected value is equal to the mean, while in a skewed distribution, the expected value may be different from the mean. It is important to understand the underlying probability distribution when calculating the expected value of x.

Can the expected value of x be negative?

Yes, the expected value of x can be negative if the outcomes in the experiment have a negative value. This is particularly common in financial applications, where the expected value of a stock or investment may be negative. However, in most cases, the expected value is positive as it represents the average outcome.