1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilities, CDF

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the function F(x) = 1 - e^(-ax) - axe^(-ax) for x>=0 and 0 elsewhere, for which values of 'a' does the function constitute a CDF?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started with saying for that to occur, provided x1>x2 -> F(x1) > F(x2)

Though I've only managed to say for x1=0 and x2=1 -> a>0 but I'm not sure if it's an unequivocal answer.

How can I prove it decisively?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That should be ≥.

What about F(x)≥0? F(x)≤1?
    Did you check the derivative?

If all of them are fine, you are done.

4. Sep 20, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you want to show that F is an increasing function, then show that its derivative is never negative.

5. Sep 20, 2013 #4
    Oh, good idea (+thanks). I'll look into it. I may return if I see an issue.

6. Sep 20, 2013 #5
    I've got a bit of trouble. The derivative>0 appears to conclude to (a^2)xe^(-ax)>0 which appears to be true for any 'a' belonging in IR. It appears to be more direct to do 0<=F(x)<=1 which appears to conclude to 0<=(e^-ax)(1-ax)<=1 but how do I learn how to solve that inequality?

7. Sep 20, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aren't you forgetting something very important? If ##f(x) = a^2 x e^{-ax} 1_{\{x \geq 0 \}},## then you need two things:
    [tex](1) \; f(x) \geq 0 \text{ for all }x; \text{ and }\\
    (2)\; \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \, dx = 1.[/tex]
    In the current case the integral goes from 0 to ∞ because f(x) = 0 for x < 0. So, if you have a = 0 do these conditions hold? What about if a < 0?

8. Sep 20, 2013 #7
    Well I can I show that for a negative 'a' F will not be approaching 1 for x->+oo. The integral of f(x) between 0 and +oo appears to be 'a' times the expected value of any Exp(a) so it's 1 for any 'a', hrm.. provided a>0 (for any Exp(a)) so I guess that might be enough. It's a bit confusing since the exercise goes on to ask for the fx(x) in a later question so I'm unsure if it needs it exposed directly on this first question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted