1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and binomial distribution question

1. Mar 23, 2006 #1
    There was a question on the test with the following information (binomial distribution)

Find the probability that X is :
    a. At least 3
    b. At most 3

For part a I did P(X>=3)=1-P(X<=2)

For part b I did P(X<=3) :
    [itex] \sum_{x=0}^3 perm(n, x)*p^x*(1-p)^(n-x)[/itex]

The last part is (1-p)^(n-x)
    For part b, I got an answer that is greater than 1, what did I do wrong?
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you using "perm?"
  4. Mar 23, 2006 #3
    Disregard. How do you delete your posts? I pressed the delete button once I go to edit, but that doesn't do it...

Anyways, I got an answer of .7717.
  5. Mar 23, 2006 #4
    Perm meaning permutation. That's the formula for binomial distribution. Ksinclair, should I disregard your answer?
  6. Mar 23, 2006 #5
    Probably :P

I know that moderators can delete posts, but I thought that you could also delete them yourself, or else my post wouldn't even be up there right now.

If perm (n, x) means n!/(x!(n-x)!), then my answer should be correct ;).
  7. Mar 23, 2006 #6
    Wow, this sucks. I wrote it out right on the paper but when I kept calculating I kept switching the x and n-x place so i had a greater answer. I can't believe this, I calculated it like 5 times on the test and still didn't realize the mistake!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?