1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability density function of a random number

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X be a random number from (0,1). Find the probability density function of Y = 1/X.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I keep thinking this is easier than I am making it out to be, but the only places I find anything similar searching is on two exams at two different schools, so it must be more interesting than I thought.

I am attempting to first find the distribution function and then differentiate to get the density function (not sure that is the right way to approach)

for any x between 0 and 1, the probability distribution would be
    0 if x < 0
    x if 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 1
    1 if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 1

for y = 1/x
    x = 1/y
    so F(y) = 1/y and F'(y) = f(y) = -1/[tex]y^{2}[/tex]

I know the answer is 1/[tex]y^{2}[/tex] and not negative, but I have the suspicion that I am doing it wrong anyway and my answer is just coincidentally close to correct. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2
    You can tell F(y)=1/y is wrong by taking y=1/2. Consider [itex]\mathbb{P}(Y=k)[/itex] for some k. Now try to get the expression in terms of X.

Good luck.

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

Two approaches.
    First, if [tex] Y = 1/X[/tex], then you are correct that [tex] 1 \le Y < \infty [/tex].
    Now

[tex]
    P(Y \le y) = P(1/X \le y) = P(X \ge \frac 1 y)
    [/tex]

You forgot to reverse the inequality. Write out a form for [tex] P(X \ge 1/y) [/tex] and differentiate that to get the density.

Second: if you want to do a change of variables, you need to multiply be the absolute value of the derivative.

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just picking a nit here, but that should be U(0,1), not just (0,1).

That is not correct. This fails two key tests of whether a function is a CDF. This function is monotonically decreasing for y>1 (CDFs must be monotonically increasing functions) and F(y)→0 as y→∞ (CDFs must have F(y)→1 as y→∞).

You are on the right track, however.

6. May 31, 2010 #5
    PF Mentor,
    Can you post the complete answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook