Probability density function of a random number

In summary, the probability density function of Y = 1/X is f(y) = 1/y^2 for y ≥ 1. This can be found by taking the derivative of P(X ≥ 1/y) and multiplying by the absolute value of the derivative to account for the change of variables.
Proggy99

Homework Statement

Let X be a random number from (0,1). Find the probability density function of Y = 1/X.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep thinking this is easier than I am making it out to be, but the only places I find anything similar searching is on two exams at two different schools, so it must be more interesting than I thought.

I am attempting to first find the distribution function and then differentiate to get the density function (not sure that is the right way to approach)

for any x between 0 and 1, the probability distribution would be
0 if x < 0
x if 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 1
1 if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 1

for y = 1/x
x = 1/y
so F(y) = 1/y and F'(y) = f(y) = -1/[tex]y^{2}[/tex]

I know the answer is 1/[tex]y^{2}[/tex] and not negative, but I have the suspicion that I am doing it wrong anyway and my answer is just coincidentally close to correct. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You can tell F(y)=1/y is wrong by taking y=1/2. Consider [itex]\mathbb{P}(Y=k)[/itex] for some k. Now try to get the expression in terms of X.

Good luck.

Two approaches.
First, if [tex] Y = 1/X[/tex], then you are correct that [tex] 1 \le Y < \infty [/tex].
Now

[tex]
P(Y \le y) = P(1/X \le y) = P(X \ge \frac 1 y)
[/tex]

You forgot to reverse the inequality. Write out a form for [tex] P(X \ge 1/y) [/tex] and differentiate that to get the density.

Second: if you want to do a change of variables, you need to multiply be the absolute value of the derivative.

Proggy99 said:
Let X be a random number from (0,1).
Just picking a nit here, but that should be U(0,1), not just (0,1).

so F(y) = 1/y
That is not correct. This fails two key tests of whether a function is a CDF. This function is monotonically decreasing for y>1 (CDFs must be monotonically increasing functions) and F(y)→0 as y→∞ (CDFs must have F(y)→1 as y→∞).

You are on the right track, however.

PF Mentor,
Can you post the complete answer?

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a given value. It is used to represent the probability distribution of a continuous random variable.

2. How is a probability density function different from a probability mass function (PMF)?

A probability mass function (PMF) is used to describe the probability distribution of a discrete random variable, while a probability density function (PDF) is used for continuous random variables. The PMF assigns probabilities to specific values, while the PDF assigns probabilities to ranges of values.

3. What is the area under a probability density function?

The area under a probability density function represents the total probability of all possible outcomes. It is equal to 1 for a complete probability density function.

4. How is a probability density function used in statistics?

In statistics, probability density functions are used to calculate the likelihood of a particular outcome occurring in a distribution. They are also used in hypothesis testing, where the PDF of a sample is compared to the PDF of a population to determine the probability of obtaining the sample data if the null hypothesis is true.

5. Can a probability density function have negative values?

No, a probability density function cannot have negative values. The values of a probability density function must be non-negative, and the total area under the curve must equal 1. If a PDF has negative values, it is not a valid probability density function.