1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability generating function (binomial distribution)

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The probabilty generating funtion G is definied for random varibles whos range are [tex]\subset[/tex] {0,1,2,3,......}. If Y is such a random variable we will call it a counting random varible. Its probabiltiy generating function is [tex]G(s) = E(s^{y}) [/tex] for those s's such that [tex]E(|s|^{y})[/tex]) < [tex]\infty[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

binomial distribution = [tex]\left(\stackrel{n}{y}\right)[/tex][tex]p^{y}[/tex][tex]q^{n-y}[/tex] , y = 0,1,2,3,....n and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] p [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

3. The attempt at a solution

What i have so far is...

[tex]G(s) = E(s^{y}) [/tex] = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]s^{y}[/tex][tex]\left(\stackrel{n}{y}\right)[/tex][tex]p^{y}[/tex][tex]q^{n-y}[/tex]

[tex]G(s) = E(s^{y}) [/tex] = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\left(\stackrel{n}{y}\right)[/tex][tex](sp)^{y}[/tex][tex]q^{n-y}[/tex]

not sure where to go from that. i managed to do it for the geometric random variable distribution b/c there was no "n choose y". Thanks to wiki, I know what the answer should be. The answer is G(s) = [tex][(1-p) + ps]^{n}[/tex]. I can't see how they went from what i have above to that.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2
    well i just realized that [tex]G(s) = E(s^{y}) [/tex] = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\left(\stackrel{n}{y}\right)[/tex][tex](sp)^{y}[/tex][tex]q^{n-y}[/tex]

is the same thing as [tex](q + sp)^{n}[/tex] .

Also by definition [tex] p + q = 1 \Rightarrow q = 1-p [/tex] which means...

[tex]G(s) = E(s^{y}) = [(1-p) + ps]^{n} [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook